Super Major, tachometer options?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
case680rob
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Major, tachometer options?

Post by case680rob »

Hello again, I have a new puzzle to solve. I recently acquired a 61 FSM, equipped with complexly destroyed gauges. The tach/hour set has been busted and left to the elements for so long the numbers are gone off the rollers. Being vacuum governed I know it needs a clockwise tach, but there are 7 roller digits. I can find 5 and 6 roller units, but 7? Any ideas here?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Super Major, tachometer options?

Post by Billy26F5 »

Only look for original gauges as repros are not reliable. You will probably want a clockwise mph gauge, there's also a km/h version, here's what Davie's one looks like (Dexta AC km/h type)
There are both AC and Smiths tachometers available, Unless someone tells you one is more accurate than others for the age of your Super Major, I think you can choose either. Smiths ones seem to be rarer. Check the cable works well, as they can be irritating when they don't.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

case680rob
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by case680rob »

My cable is definitely bad. Will have to be replaced. What about the PTO speed marking? I was thinking I need a tach that calls for 1600 at rear PTO speed, but all I have seen is 1200. What’s correct?

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

1200 pto speed is correct for your 61 super major. The mark at 1600 rpm is whe you have the raised pto unit fitted.the cable is connected to the angle drive at the front of the engine. You will want to check that too.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

All Major tachometers pre NP Super Major are marked std.PTO at 1200rpm and raised PTO at 1600rpm, the NP ones having a simple PTO marking at 1500rpm. No NP tachometers will fit your Super Major. As for finding a replacement, try seeing if you can find a stamping of the manufacturer and a date code, then it should be easier to find one that's right.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

case680rob
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by case680rob »

Where might there be stamping? The housing and most of the mechanisms inside are still there but the gauge face and glass are long gone, where I might expect to find writings like what your picture above shows.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The manufacturer and date code might be on the housing inside the dash, although the manufacturer also put its name on the dial. There's also a company that restores these gauges I think.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

case680rob
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by case680rob »

I pulled the tach, no markings anywhere besides the illegible hour meter rollers. I’ll try posting a picture.