Oil Filter

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Gman
True Blue

Oil Filter

Post by Gman »

Hello to all. I have not been on here in quite some time, hope all are well. I have a 59 PM, purchased a new oil filter but not sure if it is right one. It is 4 1/2 inches long and did not want to drain oil unless I have the correct filter. I believe the correct part number to be 957E6731A. Hopefully I will get back to reading this forum, was the best tractor forum back when I got my PM running again back in 2009, thanks again to Brian and all the others for the help. Thanks for any advice.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Oil Filter

Post by mathias1 »

Hi Gman,

There are 2 different sizes for the major: 115mm and 135mm.
You don't have to drain all the oil to undo the oil filter, so your best bet is to unscrew the housing and see which one you have there.
the 4 1/2 inch is the shortest one.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

There are two main types of filter, the second is the short one and appeared in 1959 to have a common element with the Dexta, earlier ones were longer. The right part number depends on whether your Power Major is before or after the date the filter was changed. I'll find the serial number when this happened later.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks everyone. My PM, is a Nov., 1959. Pretty sure it is the shorter filter that I need. You take the oil canister off by loosen nut on top. Thanks again for the advice.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Then you have the later AC filter. The short element is the one you want for this one, but measure the old one before you order anything.
The forum is as good as ever although Brian hasn't been on for ages (I hope he is well as I used to enjoy reading his posts very much years ago before I joined, and I also thought he was really fortunate to have an E1ADKN and a petrol Dexta, both very rare).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks everyone, fresh oil in the engine, filter was correct. I looked at some of my old posts, do not see any of my pictures. Next is the big oil change, trans and rear end, $$$$. I hope to start getting back on the forum in the future. Good luck to all on your projects.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Although your tractor is later than the introduction of universal oil, I would recommend the old spec for a Power Major, as there's no draft control hydraulics and the thicker oil will work better in the transmission.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks. I already have 5 gallons of New Holland oil and because of price probably will go with it but will look into the 90 wt and the cost of it. The oil drains from transmission to rear end like many out there, I pump the oil back into trans from rear end. I do not do a lot of work with her, the old oil probably is still ok but it has been in there for some time. I usually try to drain any condensation out after she sits for a long period of time. Thanks again for your advice.