Binding brakes

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Binding brakes

Post by JMD168 »

I've just had the 1961 Super Major for a year and noticed the near side brake housing was warmer than the other side, bought a new set of discs from Agriline fitted them and thought all would be well, again the brake housing was a little warm. Took it out yesterday for a 4-5 mile drive, applied the brakes at a road junction, all was well until a few hundred yards further down the road I was loosing power, pulled over to find plenty of smoke coming from the housing, it was red hot with peeling paint. Let it cool for a while, stamped on the brake pedal which must have freed it then headed home slowly. Took the outer cover off, with a straight edge across the discs were flush ie no gap under the straight edge. All the linkages are well lubricated and free, I put plenty of copper paste on the splines when I assembled the new discs, I did not adjust the stop screw when fitting the new discs. So what have I done wrong ? Hope some one on here can tell me the correct procedure for fitting and setting up the brakes. I have measured the balls, they are 0.874 dia. Puzzled as to why the brakes should lock on and not release. Any advice would be welcome.
John

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Binding brakes

Post by Billy26F5 »

Badly adjusted Super Major brakes will bind and lock. You should have loosened the pull rod and adjusting screw first, then tighten the screw and loosen it 1 1/2 turns. Then tighten the pull rod to give 1 1/2" of clearance at the pedal foot point. (Or tighten till just tight then loosen 1 1/2 turns and check the clearance is 1 1/2")
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Binding brakes

Post by JMD168 »

Hi Billy,
Thanks for the info, I've set them up as you suggested, I'll give it a test drive this Sunday all being well.
Thanks again
John