Grill markings

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Billy26F5
True Blue

Grill markings

Post by Billy26F5 »

Hi all,
Can anyone with a 1955 Major with original grills confirm if both lower supports were stamped EnFo?
If not did the other one have something else (a part number perhaps). Billy lost his outer support (nearer the side of the front cowling) on the LH grill ages ago (well before we got here) and we're hoping to make a replacement one that doesn't stand out as non original.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Re: Grill markings

Post by John b »

Hi Sandy
got a couple of old pairs of grilles, from an early diesel major and a later power major. Both pairs have 'enfo' stamped on both bottom supports
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Thanks very much John.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Just a thought, but i believe some of the old enfo spanners had the logo in raised letters on them, if you had one with the right size logo you could maybe use it to stamp enfo on a new grille support?
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

John b wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:41 pm
..use it to stamp enfo on a new grille support?
But backwards.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Damn, a flaw in my plan!!!!!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I used a modelling knife, just to mark it (no pic of it yet), a friend has the right tool for doing it manually, and as I'm hoping to sign paint our JCB Mr. MacGregor and patches on the badges that are bare; this is a good challenge too (although quite different in many ways). There's also the serial number to do on the new serial plate, I'm hoping to do both at once. Here's how the front looks now (notice Super Billy in the background):
Unfortunately we're lacking on Ford tools, the closest being an injector spanner (not stamped, but it fits perfectly).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Is super billy a Fordson or Ebro 55?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Super Billy is (I think) mainly a Super 55, but he has many Ford bits, and he's (hopefully) going to look like a NP Super Major sold by Ebro (with slightly different cosmetic features). We'll get there when we finish the engine and front axle.
Report coming as soon as they're done, because I haven't got the casting codes and these bits are with a friend whom we haven't seen personally since Covid (and we're also short of pics other than the overhaul).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Be nice to see him in all his glory. I'll try and sort some pics of the major i'm restoring when i finally finish it. I've done a nut and bolt resto on a ford 4100, and i've still got a Marshall 804 to finish, completely rebuilt the engine so far, just the cosmetics to do, tracking down a turbo was the hardest bit with that one, holset H1A turbos are like hen's teeth!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It certainly will be nice, as before the overhaul he sounded very bad (a badly worn big end no. 1) and ended up not running because of that. Play in the spindles was very bad too. When we first got him the diaphragm was gone too, he's now got one that I was told at the time came from a lorry (probably an Ebro B series, the Ebro version of the Thames ET6; which also used the Major engine) and it seems ok.
Hope your Ford runs nicely and the Marshall too.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

They both run lovely now, the ford was in a bad way as it had been on a corn dryer for 5 years and then stood in a field for 10 and the Marshall was siezed solid as the oil filter had collapsed. Sounds like Super Billy will be a real beauty when he's finished, look forward to seeing the pics