Solenoid cover

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Billy26F5
True Blue

Solenoid cover

Post by Billy26F5 »

Hi all,
Does anyone happen to have a pic of the solenoid cover (part no. E1ADDN-14693)? Billy's one is long gone and I'd like to make one.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Re: Solenoid cover

Post by John b »

The only one i have ever seen was a very long time ago, as far as i can remember it was a round plastic/bakelite cap with a U shape cut out on each side to go over the cables. Don't know if it was an original part but it's the only one i ever came across
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think that's the later one for Super Major's, part no. E1ADDN-14693B, this one (part no. E1ADDN-14693) only covers the battery terminal, and is a close fit. There's a view of it in The Ford Tractor Story part 1, in a pic of the LH side of the Radio Major (page 124); but it's not good enough to be able to make it from scratch out of an old inner tyre tube.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

https://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/ffcn ... _52-57.pdf
Billy you have probably already seen this-the cover is item #43 on page 21. Hope it helps someone get a picture of one. Now that I know what it is I'll keep an eye out. Ours is long gone as well.
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I have indeed seen this parts book (it's where I got the part number from). I think there will only be a handful left (if any appear on eBay please let me know as well) as they were probably replaced by insulating tape in most cases once spares stocks were exhausted and dealers stopped being as involved in the Major's as they had been originally.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

After quite a long time needing attention, Billy's starter lead has been replaced, the old one was an Ebro one (I think) and its insulation was pretty bad, the current one was the battery earth lead, but it broke near the base connector, the starter end connector is the refitted earth lead one, and the other one comes from the old starter lead.
We tried to start Mr. MacGregor with one of our old batteries that read over 13V but was completely dead, but it gave enough of a boost to enable the jump leads to start him off Billy's current battery.
A general view of the lead in place.
A closeup of the solenoid end, we need to make or find the cover for the battery lead (part no. E1ADDN-14693).
A closeup of the starter end, showing plenty of old paint on the lead.
The old lead minus one connector and some white insulating tape it had on loose.
Hoping to get the cover fitted soon.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

After looking around and not finding anything I decided to make it using the pic mentioned earlier.
Sandy
ImageImageImage