Transmission stuck on parked Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
leeroy
True Blue

Transmission stuck on parked Major

Post by leeroy »

Not sure if it's a Power or Super Major.
I know little about this tractor. Guy had about a hundred various tractors on a stamp sized lot for years. He recently passed away and the new owner started cleaning up. My son noted a Major so we contacted owner to take a look. It has a Ford backhoe and loader on it.
I'd say it's in typical condition for a tractor of that age that had sat likely unused for years in the elements.
The engine oil looked like it had been recently changed, although I don't think it actually was changed.
The transmission dip stick looked awful. Almost like swamp mud with no trace of oil.
The main gear shift would not move, even a mm. I did not put a lot of force to it.
Knowing my limitations on transmission work, and what he was asking, I want to pass this up.
Unless this transmission problem could be less of an issue than I'm imagining?
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

John b
True Blue

Re: Transmission stuck on parked Major

Post by John b »

Hi, first thing to do is remove the gearstick, there are 4 bolts holding it down. Take it off and see if it has siezed. There is nothing that will fly apart when you remove it, it just lifts straight off. If you find it moves freely in its housing when removed then the selector shafts might be stuck inside the gearbox. With the gearstick removed you should be able to see how bad it is inside, if its just dirty and dry you may be able to lube it all up and get the selectors to move by CAREFULLY levering them with a bar, but if its very rusty in there it may need the gearbox stripping down, which involves splitting the tractor. Just noticed you are in the USA so change gearstick to shifter and gearbox to transmission!
Cheers
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Also, the dip stick on a major by the gearstick is for the oil in the rear end, to check the transmission oil remove the filler cap on the side below the dipstick, the oil level should be just below the filler hole
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Jsut thought of another thing, if the clutch plates are stuck, which is very possible, and the transmission is under tension from the engine you may very well have trouble getting it to shift out of gear. Remove the starter and use a flat ended bar on the ring gear to turn the flywheel, by moving it backwards that should release any tension on the transmission and allow the shifter to move.
John

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

To know if there is tension, check to see if it's in gear. If it is look at the gearbox oil level; see it's below the selector plate aperture (if it isn't drain some out) and remove the selector plate. If the shaft from the gear lever moves now, see what the selectors are like; all of this is assuming the gear lever is free, if it's not remove the circlip and spring and try to remove it from the housing, being careful to keep the knob undisturbed if possible (if the knob is complete; if it isn't remove it anyway as you'll want a replacement).
A Super Major has disc brakes, whereas a Power Major has drum brakes like your 1955 Major.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

John b wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:16 pm
Also, the dip stick on a major by the gearstick is for the oil in the rear end, to check the transmission oil remove the filler cap on the side below the dipstick, the oil level should be just below the filler hole
I made a "Major" rookie mistake there! Should have known that :oops:
Thanks for all the replies. Now what do you all think of the rear end with my above description?
Hopefully we will revisit this soon and will report our findings.
The owner has another unknown Major in the back that I will be notified when he gets it out front.
Unfortunately, yet understandably, for insurance reasons we could not look around.
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I don't think you will have too many serious problems, the major is a tough old unit that will suffer alot of abuse. I dragged one from a hedge where it had sat for 20 years, 2 hours later i was driving it round the field

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Thanks Billy- I'll look closer at the brakes next stop. I'm pretty sure they were drums.
Really looking forward to seeing the other Fordson Major. Farmer up the road has one, and with these two discoveries
It makes four including ours, within a short distance. Another one was close to us years ago, it may have been the one we own.
Would not have thought there were that many here.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

You can never have too many majors!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Ford had been making as many as 350 a day at one point, not counting lorries and industrial ones; so there are plenty to choose from.
Lack of oil in the rear end will need investigating, looks like a rear end inspection may be needed to avoid trouble.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

TrailB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TrailB »

My FSM has the same problem I went to remove the gear lever assembly and it didn't come straight out feels like there is pressure holding it in I suspect that it is still in gear any clues as to what I can do next
TrailB

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You should be able to remove the gear lever if it's in gear. You probably have lots of corrosion in there (quite common from condensation), just be careful and try to get it moving carefully.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

As Sandy says, the gear lever should come out even if it's in gear, it's only a ball on the bottom of the lever that fits into a socket. Pobably just corrosion and old dried grease holding it, if you can get a small gap between the top of the gearbox and the gearstick housing try spraying some WD40 in there using the straw on the can, it should run down the bottom of the gear lever and into the socket and start freeing things up. You should also be able to rotate the gear lever and housing once the bolts have been removed to help free it up

TrailB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TrailB »

Mmmmmmm not good I did all of the above mentioned and ended up breaking the ball off of the end not sure what to do next I guess I will be able to get it all apart ?
TrailB

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You'll have to find good second hand replacement parts. Sounds like the corrosion was far worse than normal.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Sandy, is it possible to remove the selector socket from the rod with just the gearstick removed? Never taken one off so i don't know but it looks like it may come off if 2nd gear was selected

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It should be, but it will be awkward.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

TrailB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TrailB »

Hi all thanx for the help I will let you know what I work out
TrailB

TrailB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TrailB »

G'Day All, I am posting some photos of the broken part, is it possible to tell whether it is gear?, I can move the selector in the gearbox side to side quite easily, so I think it is neutral. and I would like to know what the selector and the part that is rusted into it is supposed to look like. I have had a look at the parts drawings and cant quite make it out, so if anyone had some photos that would be most appreciated. Also , any clues as to how to remove the broken ball end, I guess I will need heat??
Thanx again for your help
TrailB
PS Sorry to ask so many questions :D

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

That does look like neutral, that gear lever is very worn by corrosion, you'll be better to remove the socket, held on by a sqare headed bolt with locking wire. Then look for a good second hand gear lever and socket.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

That is some serious corrosion! This is what it should look like