Working gauges

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Jimbratt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Working gauges

Post by Jimbratt »

I am trying to get my gauges working, I’m unsure what I need for my tachometer, as can’t match up my injection pump
It’s a 1963 Super Major , fuel injection unit says Simms on it,
I have an hour meter on the engine, can I replace this with a tachometer drive and run cable to tachometer gauge
Also where does the temperature sensor fit on the engine for the temp gauge

Thanks
Jim

John b
True Blue

Re: Working gauges

Post by John b »

Hi Jim, yes you can replace the hour meter with a tacho drive, and if you look at the thermostat housing from the front there is a threaded hole to the right of it on top of the head. It may have a bolt in it or a square headed plug, this is where the temp sender screws in
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Jimbratt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jimbratt »

Thanks John

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Can you post pics please? If you have a minimec the cable connects on to the back of the pump, whereas the other pumps fitted don't have this and use a drive off where you have the hour counter. There are many tachometer's, two basic kinds for each setup, and each kind was made by Smiths and AC. The first one is the one attached in a bracket next to the Major dash (clockwise, has two PTO marks and three gears), the second one was used by Power Major and Super Major's with the separate drive (clockwise, has two PTO marks and four gears), the third one is for minimec Super Major's (anticlockwise, has two PTO marks and four gears) and the last one is for NP Super Major's (anticlockwise, has one PTO mark and four gears). To know which one is needed we need to see what PTO unit is fitted and what injector pump you have.
Ensure you have a capillary type temp gauge.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Jimbratt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jimbratt »

Image[/img]
Photos attached

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Unfortunately I can't see the pics. If possible avoid repro gauges as their quality is very poor.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

case680rob
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by case680rob »

I can double-down on the advice to avoid cheap reproduction tachometers. I picked up one from India for my ‘61, it’s useless. At a sputtering slow idle it reads 1000 rpm, and 1/2 throttle 2000. I’d be OK with a cheap meter that was 5% inaccurate, but this is more like 200% and simply won’t do.