59 Power Major revival

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
relick
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: 59 Power Major revival

Post by relick »

Thanks Sandy, now I've given it a blow out I can see clutch plate material sticking out the side of the PTO disk, so its coming apart. Just deciding whether to do it myself or give it to a workshop.......
Relick

1958 Fordson Power Major

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I would give it a go, keep the manual handy and be careful, you'll need a valve spring compressor for removing the springs. Could you post the inner diameter of the transmission and PTO plate hubs please (what you would use to centralise them with an alignment tool)?
Sandy
ImageImageImage

relick
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by relick »

Its apart, the main transmission pressure plate looks good on the transmission side and the clutch plate still has writing visible on the surface. The first pressure plate below is the transmission plate side. The pressure plate faces towards the pto plate has cracks and hot spots on both faces and the clutch plate has delaminated in one section.
I'm looking at reco originals but there don't seem to be any in Australia so far..........
Last edited by relick on Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relick

1958 Fordson Power Major

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Is it the PTO pressure plate or the centre drive plate? In either case you'll be better to get a good second hand one from a scrapy as new ones are not available separately. What you do want do do is reline the PTO disc if it's only the lining that's in trouble, otherwise you'll need a new disc (I think a new lining will do but I can't see it well enough).
Here's a wee chart from the manual with aproximate measurements added:
Don't be surprised if they don't quite do, I recommend you leave the PTO lever adjustment for now (ensuring all three are the same) and aim for the 0.62" clearance between PTO and transmission levers. Check it works before you consider it done.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

relick
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by relick »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:09 am
Could you post the inner diameter of the transmission and PTO plate hubs please
192mm and 189mm
I re worded my previous post as it was misleading, the pressure plate faces to the transmission clutch plate are good but the same for the PTO clutch plate are cracked etc.
Relick

1958 Fordson Power Major

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I imagine you're referring to the centre drive plate which has surfaces for both discs, as the PTO pressure plate is immediately below the cover. I actually meant the ID for making the centering tools. I didn't expect any refurbished clutches to be available, that's why I suggested getting a second hand one.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

relick
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by relick »

Finally got the clutch assembly rebuilt by an old timer who knows his stuff. I'm rejoining the tractor and having trouble with the last 20mm that needs to bring it back together. I've got a splined tool on the pto shaft (Slowly turning it and trying to mate the 2 halves) and the pto engaged but just cant get that last 20mm. I'm guessing its the inner spline of the dual clutch not mating up, any thoughts??
Last edited by relick on Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Relick

1958 Fordson Power Major

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

If you have a belt pulley engage it in high and turn it till it fits (ensure you're not in gear for this), if not you'll need to turn the engine or input shaft.
Sandy
ImageImageImage