Rare (I think) battery clamp

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Billy26F5
True Blue

Rare (I think) battery clamp

Post by Billy26F5 »

Here's some pics of Billy's battery clamp, the one used until 1956. It has had new plate added as a result of corrosion from batteries spilling electrolyte. As a result of this, the clamp will be coming off soon to get some paint on it (pics coming soon).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old52
True Blue

Re: Rare (I think) battery clamp

Post by Old52 »

That looks the same as the one that our old '52 used to have. I took it off some time ago as it was too close to the battery posts on a replacement battery and now don't know where it is....hate to say but it probably went in the bin! I don't have anything on it now, as it never sees any real speed and therefore no big bumps.

Cheers, Bob

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The petrol one is smaller, the diesel battery requires removing the bonnet to get it in. Here we're on rough ground, so it's definitely needed. It does get close to the poles, but if you insulate them and keep the clamp tight you should be ok as nothing moves. It fits better with the original type connectors (pic coming when ours is sorted, we only have Billy's negative one) which don't have bolts sticking out.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

I think that type of clamp was used on early diesel majors with 2 x 6 volt batteries.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

This clamp is definitely for a single battery, although it's quite possible that the twin batteries came before the new tray and clamp with three rods (two at the ends near the middle and one in the centre) in place of this one with four rods round the edge (one of Billy's ones is lost, but with plenty of unknown mounds of stuff here we might well find it burried somewhere). I think the early arrangement wouldn't hold the twin batteries too well.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Here's a good pic of the twin battery clamp from eBay.
https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l1600/pic ... attery.jpg
Please say when the link fails, as we'll need a copy in order for it to remain visible.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

I looked up the part no again ont he cnh website. It is #81784828 and listed for the fordson tractor 01/53 - 12/64 in the engine section under frame, exhaust system and battery clamps.

It is a modern part no, although no units on stock according to the website.

Rgds

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

If you look at the description it says it's the twin battery clamp, it matches the one in the latest parts book.
Sandy
ImageImageImage