Super Major Handbrake

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
StuPash
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Major Handbrake

Post by StuPash »

Hi I am currently restoring my 1st 1962 Super Major and have a few questions.

1,What is the best way to get into the handbrake wear plates.
2,Does anyone know the size of the thread on the drain tap on the LH side of the engine block near the dynamo.
3,When I bought it there was no Tacho connection. Can I install a Tacho Drive unit forward of the Fuel Injection pump coupling where the small oval(ish)cover plate (with 2 bolts)is. I think there should be a housing of some sort bolted to the rear of the fuel pump for the tacho to connect to but this is missing there is just a splined shaft.
4,Any advise on what type of oils to use. There seems to be a lot of opinion on this.

Any advice would be helpful, many thanks in advance.
Stu

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Super Major Handbrake

Post by Billy26F5 »

To sort the handbrake you'll need to remove the gearbox, it's not complicated but it's a big job and you'll probably be best to look at lots of other things while you're there as it's not something you want to do lots of times if possible. What is wrong with the handbrake though? If all it needs is adjusting you can do that through the hole for the selector plate, but it's quite difficult. The block coolant drain cock is probably 3/8" BSP, but measure the old one to be sure. You seem to have an exhauster type minimec (for vacuum brakes, often the exhauster will still be there but not in your case), if so use the angle drive unit from the hole you mention and a clockwise tachometer, some pics would help to show what you have as you might have a lorry engine (the lorry had hydrovac brakes). As for oils there is indeed a lot of opinion, either use the universal oil spec (SAE 30HD summer or SAE 20HD winter in the engine and transmission) or the previous spec (the same for the engine and SAE 90 for the transmission) (the gearbox and rear axle use the same kind of oil). Use what you consider better, I would recommend SAE 90 in the transmission, but if it's easier to use universal oil go for it; you'll need SAE 90 anyway for the steering box (but not much).
Sandy
ImageImageImage