Gearbox/hydraulic oil type.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Nickm
Not Quite Blue Yet

Gearbox/hydraulic oil type.

Post by Nickm »

Need to top up the oil in the rear axle box after recent work.
Looked on this forum and the manual and elsewhere, and as far as I can tell it should be sae 30 oil.

Thought that was simple enough, but Looking in my local bricomarche store ( I live in France), they don't have any, except small bottles that says it's for ride on mowers.
Which is the other problem, all the oils have their grade written on the bottle, most of which are 15w/40, but then say specifically for diesel engines or gearboxes etc.
I assume there is a difference between an oil that says for diesel engines or for petrol engines etc.

Upshot is I suppose, is it better to buy some specific sae 30w hydraulic oil on line?

Also, this is on every part of the tractor...what does it stand for?

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Gearbox/hydraulic oil type.

Post by henk »

Nick,
Best is to ask your local CNH dealer if you want to have it soon. Oil can be a puzle.

Enfo stands for Englisch Ford. Later it became Fomoco. That stands for Ford Motor Company
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I use 10w 30 in mine, i know some who use 15w 40 and 15w 30. I don't think it's to critical as long as it's universal mineral oil, some of the synthetic oils have addatives that will eat the seals in the back end. Don't use hydraulic oil as it is too thin, universal oil is fine to use i the engine, gearbox and back end
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You can use universal oil but you can also use the pre 1959 spec, which has SAE 90 in the gearbox and rear axle. I recommend the previous spec, but get what you can, as mentioned earlier ensure it's mineral oil.
Parts were stamped EnFo until 1963, when some became FoMoCo. If you have earlier stock parts they might be stamped Fordson.
Billy's front wheel
and gearbox.
And Super Billy's sump, with a more general view of it below (I don't have a good pic yet).
Sandy
Last edited by Billy26F5 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Nickm
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Nickm »

Ok, thanks.

Think I have 10L of 15w/40 mineral oil.
Can't remember if it says for diesel engines or anything specific.
But I'll see if there's any 15w/30 universal oil available around and about.

By the way, what does CNH stand for?

Have this on the back of my tractor.
Is it a fairly standard piece of equipment so that you can attach to pretty much anything?

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

CNH is Case New Holland, as for the piece on the back of your tractor, thats one for Sandy!
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

That's a home made tow bar. 15W40 will be fine as long as it's mineral, you need 9 quarts.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Well that answers that! I know some put gear oil in the transmission and universal in the back end, but the seals do have a tendency to leak, even if its very slowly. By using the same oil in the gearbox and back end there's no chance of the oils contaminating one another if you do get a seal leak between them
John