Fordson Major Gear Stick repair question

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Rijono
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Major Gear Stick repair question

Post by Rijono »

Hello, I finally got my Fordson Major out of the garage today following a long rest whilst it had a lot of restorative work. One of the jobs I have been struggling with is repairing the gearstick that is rather slack in operation. I have welded a new ball by filling and grinding and made a new pin but apart from buying a new unit I can’t seem to get it right.

Does anyone have any photos/drawing/dimensions to show what a good one should look like e.g ball shape, depth, pin size, groove width is the pin and groove a tight fit?

I tried previously and don’t really want to fork out for a new one. Would be much more satisfying to repair it and keep the original.

Thanks

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Fordson Major Gear Stick repair question

Post by Billy26F5 »

I'm afraid I don't have the sizes, loose gear levers are common, you might wand to take up wear on the selectors in the slot where the shaft from the gear lever locates, this is what Billy looked like before that was done. It will be much easier than trying to get the ball right, baring in mind that the housing will have worn too.
If you have the early detent unit you will have to live with jumping out of gear under certain conditions.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Rijono
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Rijono »

Thanks for the reply. Although I am a mechanic by trade I am not overly experienced on transmissions, let alone ones from the 50's so asking on this forum is beneficial because many other people would have fixed the same problems as I have over the last 68 years for sure. I hope you can assist.

I took the advice and removed the LH side plate that incorporates the gearbox filler plug. This exposed the selector mechanism and the selector rod from beneath the gear lever and housing which I also removed. I had a good look and checked for obvious wear.

I can't load the photos on this forum for some reason but the parts you see in your photo in your previous post are worn where the selector rod and selector meet with the two forks that move the gears back and forth along both gear shafts.

Basic engineering says that a little amount of wear at one end of a set of levers will equate to a massive amount of movement at the other end - this is what i believe is happening with my selectors, locking screw, gear lever and housing...caused by the items I have stated above.

What I would like to know if possible is whether anyone on the forum has experienced this specific wear and if it was the cause of their gear lever problem too. If so then from experience can you suggest whether the parts had to be replaced to improve the gear selection and/or you could source that particular replacement part. Other than that how did you overcome the problem.

I have removed the gear lever and housing which has been welded previously and an M6 bolt fitted as a pin. I think I will buy a new gear lever and housing rather than weld/fill a new bottom end/ball again. That way I know that the measurement/fit/finish is correct and i don't have to worry about that bit. This also eliminates this item from my investigations as a potential issue.

Common sense tells me to tighten the loose locking screw and replace the security wire, fit brand new gear lever and housing with new pin, fit it all back together and try it which I think I'll do however any experience/advice is welcomed.

Thank you.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

This sounds exactly like Billy, a friend of ours took the plate and welded up the slots (he is a very good welder), the lever is still on the loose side but perfectly ok. Definitely tighten the bolt and refit the wire, and see if any others need it too while you're in there. I would be a bit wary of some new parts, as they might not fit; you'll probably get a better fit by doing it yourself as you know how big the hole in the shaft is (and it will be bigger than when it was new).
For pics try this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5024&p=53955#p53955.
Sandy
ImageImageImage