1954 FMD fuel pump identification help

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: 1954 FMD fuel pump identification help

Post by Billy26F5 »

I saw both these engines yesterday (on ebay), the top one has the pump inclined but still has the pull out excess fuel, the lower one is vertical but otherwise the same, although it could be a modified pump that did have a pre-filter originally. The differences in the inspection cover are more to do with refining the sealing than anything else (as were the four extra bolts for it), the lower one being the earlier type. I'm not all that sure when they changed them but no later pump with button type excess fuel had the earlier type cover. I can't read any number on the pumps unfortunately. The top engine looks ike a possible ex-lorry engine, the injector pipes definitely are, but for Mk2 and later engines.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Jm-baker
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jm-baker »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:18 pm
The eight bolts on the cover appeared on pump no. 34624 (tractor no. 1271510),, the pre-filter dissappeared on pump no. 39001, the inclined 10º pump started at pump no. 52205, and the new button type excess fuel device appeared on pump no. 61994 (tractor no. 1299000). From here to 1425097 I reckon is the period of the 380 pump. The 296 pump lasted till 1239515, when it was replaced by the 298 (or 297, it's a bit confusing sometimes as the later 497 and 498 are both very similar apart from the fact that the 497 is the later exhauster pump, the 498 being the normal Mk2 type, both in use from 1425097, I can't remember if it's the 297 or 298 right now but someone else will put me right on that).
Can you find your pump number, it's on the cambox just below the inspection cover. With that we'll know exactly what pump you've got as some parts can be swapped easily. It's also just possible that your engine got a stock pump but that kind of mixup is rare, it's normally a case with more subtle things (like E27N front wheels that are 7 years older as Billy has), but stock parts are generally rare anyway.
Sandy
Hi Sandy,

Going over the pump models again, i found this https://www.fordson.se/2_Kylsystem_Br%E ... 68-114.pdf that details:

"From approximately tractor No. 1239515, a modified camshaft was introduced and only this type of camshaft is supplied in service.
For identification purposes the current type injection pump, with modified camshaft, is sramped with the letter " B " after the serial number on the cambox."

So i beleive the 296 must have lasted longer than tractor 1239515. As many 296 pumps have the suffix B.

My 296 being 20228B.
I also found a photo of a 296 pump serial 47069B

Is it possible the 296 lasted up until the 380? I have seen many photos of the 296 with and without pre-filter, also with the 4 and 8 bolt covers. Like the model was carried through the evolutions?

If not, what referecne can we find for a pump medel between 296 and 380 anywhere?

It is interesting....

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I fear this pump is a mix of parts although the inspection cover is odd. It seems to have two different pump nos., and I would belive the later one more, as it more closely fits the parts used. The B suffix only indicates that the new camshaft is in, but most previous pumps would likely have had one of these fitted when taken in for overhaul. I think your pump is probably one of the last early ones before the new camshaft was factory fitted, it would have had the new camshaft fitted slightly later, particularly if this pump had had a running backwards incident. I would say this is actually a 380, but see what the ebay people say about the various parts in reference to the Ford specs. The current parts situation inevitably causes problems for getting an appropriate pump, but I think it should be possible. In the meantime as Shepp says see about getting spares from https://injectionpumps.co.uk/ as they have a pretty good range of parts.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Jm-baker
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jm-baker »

Have purchased a replacement pump of the correct age and serial range. Also a replacement drive shaft as mine had damage. And the correct fuel pipe.

Pump is in good used condition. Will give it a service and test then decide if it needs refurb.

SPE 4A 70S 296
Serial #39058