1953 Major E1ADKN Hand Crank Starter

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
muhlig
Not Quite Blue Yet

1953 Major E1ADKN Hand Crank Starter

Post by muhlig »

Hello,

I have a 1953 Fordson Major E1ADKN Petrol - Kero tractor. It has a square shaft sticking out the front from the tombstone but the rear of this shaft is not connected to the engine crank pulley, although there appears to be some sort of clevis on both the pulley and the rear of the square shaft. The square shaft is spring loaded longitudinally such that it can be pushed in and then springs back out when released. Was this arrangement designed to hand crank start the tractor ? What missing pieces do I need ?

Thanks,
Michael, Australia.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: 1953 Major E1ADKN Hand Crank Starter

Post by Billy26F5 »

It was designed to crank by hand, but not for starting, there was a handle in the toolbox, but these will be rare and expensive now. They were discontinued in 1954.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

muhlig
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by muhlig »

I just discovered that there should be a starting handle dog on the end of the crank shaft pulley that the starting handle shaft engages with when pushed in. Mine just has a plain retainer with a hex head.
Does anyone know where to find the starting handle dog and how it is fitted to the crank shaft pulley ?

Michael.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Can you post a pic of it please? We'll then see what you have. The ratchet on the pulley bolt was always there, but from 1961 it changed from 4 to 2 notches.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

I have seen plain head bolts fitted usually when an industrial engine has been fitted or a front driven hydraulic pump added etc.
We have early and late bolts with the starting dog. I think we may still have a handle or two available also.
Thanks.

Megabass
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Megabass »

My 1953 Fordson has a crank handle that my father made for it, welded up from flatbar and pipe, and it actually works really well. Sing out if you would like some photos/dimensions. Best regards, Nick, Riverhead, New Zealand.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think many of us would like to see pics of a homemade starting handle, I for one certainly would like it, as it's always great to see how someone can make bits that are not available sometimes very like the Ford bits. As starting handles are rare it's always great to see them on the earlier Major's too.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

:needpics:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Megabass
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Megabass »

It is very basic, but the welds have held up well, and with a good solid 180 degree swing on the handle, the tractor usually always fires up. Only ever have used it as a last resort, a good battery is really what you always want. My Fordson is a petrol model BTW, so compression is not too high.

The crank handle has a square end, internal size 7/8" square, 2-1/2" deep.
Handle is 7/8" OD pipe.

I have just taken 4 digital photos with an imperial tape measure showing overall lengths in inches, but my computer skills are limiting my ability to post them here, sorry.

PM me, i could email photos.

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Did anyone start a diesel major with the handle?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

For pics see this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5024&p=53955#p53955
I've seen this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mTnGay ... el=Upi3000), I've also seen it done with the belt pulley (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o9cKaN ... nnel=AlluA); I found these a while ago.
Sandy
ImageImageImage