Electrical Problem- 1962 Super Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
StuPash
Not Quite Blue Yet

Electrical Problem- 1962 Super Major

Post by StuPash »

So I have recently replaced all the electrics including wiring loom on the 1962 Super Major I am restoring. Wired according to the wiring diagram in the wiring loom kit and cross checked against the original wiring diagram(Positive Earth). I have checked all wired correctly and checked again. All has been working fine for a few days but today when trying to start worked fine on the first start, but second time there was a big flash and bang and the wiring burnt out. Anyone have any ideas, Maybe a weakness or damage in the loom somewhere. I take it that it should be a positive earth?
Any advice, thoughts are appreciated as the loom is probably past repair.

SvendH
True Blue

Re: Electrical Problem- 1962 Super Major

Post by SvendH »

A short in the vercinity of the light switch?
Or a faulty start-relay (solenoid) drawing too much current and overloading the wire-loom?
Too bad about the new loom,hope the Major is working again soon😀
Svend

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Check all wires for insulation defects and insulate well, you should be fine after that.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

StuPash
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by StuPash »

SvendH wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:12 pm
A short in the vercinity of the light switch?
Or a faulty start-relay (solenoid) drawing too much current and overloading the wire-loom?
Too bad about the new loom,hope the Major is working again soon😀
Svend
Thanks SvendH. Yes did seem to be in the vicinity of the ignition switch where it flashed. I have replaced all the electric components including the starter solenoid, voltage regulator and ignition switch as part of the rewire so shouldn't be those causing an issue. Hopefully was just poor insulation or damage. But is a worry if I fit another new loom it happens again.

StuPash
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by StuPash »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:07 pm
Check all wires for insulation defects and insulate well, you should be fine after that.
Sandy
Thanks Sandy. I was hoping that is all it was and just wanted to make sure I hadn't done something daft, maybe I snagged a wire when installing. Such a shame as it had all been working fine for a few days. Will have to check the new loom over before I fit it.

StuPash
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by StuPash »

On another point. Can someone confirm the process for polarising the generator for a positive earth system. Do you need to flash the field terminal from the positive or negative battery terminal once you disconnect the wires from the generator.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You do it from the negative terminal.
Sandy
ImageImageImage