Steering Box Seal 1959 power major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JLworld
Not Quite Blue Yet

Steering Box Seal 1959 power major

Post by JLworld »

Hi,

I have restored a steering box on my Fordson power major and I need a seal for the rocker/ cross shaft.

The genuine one is obsolete for this age it is still available on the newer year of manufacture super major.

The one for the super major is too big and won’t go into the recess.

I am not sure what should have been in there.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Will

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Steering Box Seal 1959 power major

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think you'll need to have one made (unless you're lucky to find a good one second hand), see Brian's posts on that (it's a different seal but it's the same idea), and the Henrietta hydraulics article on the wiki.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Will, I did my 1960 PM steering box and mine had what was described as the older type seal which had to be staked in. I too received the wrong seal and as covid was causing problems at the time with some companies closed, I re used the old seal and re staked it with the battered old stake, filled the box with semi liquid grease and it has leaked slowly ever since. My plan was to try and get a slightly thicker seal and squish it up tight with a washer if I couldn`t get the right seal but to be honest as its a working tractor I just found it less hasle to top up with lube and forget it. Dave
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

JLworld
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JLworld »

Hi Sandy,
Where would I find what Brian has written on this? I have tried looking. I also see the hydraulic seal in the wiki however I don’t have an original to match against.

So could be a bit of a problem.

Thanks

Will

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

As long as you have the sizes you'll be fine, it's a single lip seal, the lip will want to face inwards when you fit it. Brian often described the wiki article in posts when someone needed a new seal.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JLworld
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JLworld »

Thanks Sandy,

I’ll get some measurements and talk to our local hydraulics place see if they can sort me out.

Will

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

I recommend the Viton material. It's not always available and will cost more, but wil last longer.

On a Landrover forum I found once https://www.lrdirect.com/stc3435s-swive ... 1se-sachet Think I will use it the next time I service my steering house.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

The seal described for the Super Major by various parts suppliers is 35mm internal by 47mm external by 7mm wide. Assuming the internal for the Power Major and Major is the same as the Super Major at 35mm, then seals with 35mm internal are available in 46.5 mm o/d width 8mm,
46.0mm o/d width 7mm, 45.0mm o/d width 4mm, 44mm o/d width 7mm, 43mm o/d width 6mm, and smaller Look at for example Simply Bearings website, they are UK based.

In fact there is a whole selection of sizes internal and external, you should be able to match up to one. Sensible prices as well.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.