Fordson Super Major External Services Plate Overhaul

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
smchris
True Blue

Fordson Super Major External Services Plate Overhaul

Post by smchris »

Dear tractorologists

A job I have lined up for winter is an overhaul of the hydraulics on my FSM 1961. The ext. services plate blanking plugs are leaking, and the knob to engage the aux services vs lift arms keeps sticking. It's high-time for a service. It also needs the main piston seal replacing, but I thought I'd start with the plate and go from there.

But, I'm frankly terrified of what happens when I try to get those blanking plugs out. There is a lot of assumed knowledge in the workshop manual - introducing ball bearings and levering them out with a screwdriver etc and I don't want to end up doing more damage than I fix.

There's also not much supporting "how to" information on the web to guide a newbie through this.

Is anyone experienced in this area and willing to help? I want to turn the job into a clear guide to help others attempting the same repairs later.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Fordson Super Major External Services Plate Overhaul

Post by Billy26F5 »

Have a look at this:
viewtopic.php?p=57438#p57438
Sandy
ImageImageImage

smchris
True Blue

Post by smchris »

Thanks - that gives me some encouragement. What are the vertical pins that sit in front of the blanking plugs, and how do they come out?

smchris
True Blue

Post by smchris »

And does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable service kit? i.e. one where the o-rings actually fit and are quality?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I don't know of any service kit. The roll pins hold the plugs in against the working pressure, just pull or push them out.
Sandy
ImageImageImage