Replacing exhaust manifold

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
leeroy
True Blue

Replacing exhaust manifold

Post by leeroy »

Hurrying into barn before rain in the dark, no headlight except the one on me. Hit the low beam and snapped off elbow from manifold.
Are new replacements suitable? Especially the ones in the United Kingdom?
Also, has anyone had any trouble shipping to the US from the UK? Ive had great luck, but have not ordered anything lately.
...it never rained!
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

John b
True Blue

Re: Replacing exhaust manifold

Post by John b »

A friend ordered one from Agriline and it wouldn't fit, it took another 2 replacements from them before he finally got one that would. Don't know about the quality from other suppliers but it might get expensive and frustrating if you are getting one from the UK and it doesn't fit!
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Most of the bends and manifolds will probably come from the same manufacturer ( Indian, Turkish or sadly Chinese) but sold by different suppliers. You could try Malpas Online (Malpas Tractors), they sell New Holland Gold Value parts which are basically Sparex, most Sparex stuff is usually good and a lot is European made, and if NH are putting their name to it then it better had be good! Dunlop Tractor Spares have some parts specially made for them in the UK and Ireland, don't know if their elbows and manifolds are specially made but could be worth a try, look on their website and give them a call.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

Aren't there two versions of the elbow? One brings the silencer under the side of the hood, the other is skewed forward and comes up through the hood for machines with a loader.
Could also invest in some headlights - that'll give you high beam, and low beam :) :) :)
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Your best bet is a good second hand one, it will definitely fit then (if it's the correct mk1 manifold). The elbow is the same for all engines.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Hair Bear wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:19 pm
Aren't there two versions of the elbow? One brings the silencer under the side of the hood, the other is skewed forward and comes up through the hood for machines with a loader.
Yes two types for upswept exhaust.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I don't think Leeroy wants the loader one, it's very rare anyway.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Hair Bear wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:19 pm
Could also invest in some headlights - that'll give you high beam, and low beam :) :) :)
Brilliant! :clap: The whole family appreciated that! Especially my son who has been suggesting headlight for a while.
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

You're welcome. Just a thought, if the shed roof is that low, have you considered a downswept pipe?
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Hair Bear the idea has been brought up, but I prefer the vertical.
Plan is for building a dedicated tractor shed.
JB welded manifold :roll: until I source new or used manifold.

FarmallM51
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by FarmallM51 »

I've had not problems ordering from UK. DHL delivers within 5 days, but is costly ($50/shipment).

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

John b wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:20 pm
A friend ordered one from Agriline and it wouldn't fit, it took another 2 replacements from them before he finally got one that would. Don't know about the quality from other suppliers but it might get expensive and frustrating if you are getting one from the UK and it doesn't fit!
John do you happen to know if it was the straight or offset bolt pattern? Hyacinths is the early straight pattern.
I will be finding out sometime next week, so don't go out of your way to inquire.
Was not finding any dismantled ones that were not prohibitively expensive to buy and ship, so gambled on Agriline. Have had good luck in past.
As you all may have guessed, JB weld did not last much more than a month, and likely not more than a few hours.
In JBs defense this was not repaired with the high heat version and it was a complete break, not a mere crack.
I suppose I still have the option of bringing it to a good welder if new manifold does not fit.
You will be pleased to know Hyacinth is now living on the ground floor, with no low beams!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Good stuff, hope you're lucky. Keep the welding very much alive, it will probably help the welding if the manifold is a bit hot, avoiding fast cooling of the weld and then it will definitely want to get the heat treatments again, so it survives better later.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

By the way, I did find a few salvage tractors with under swept manifold if anyone is looking. Let me know if anyone would like a link.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi Leeroy, it was definitely the later offset pattern. Welding a manifold can be a problem, not only is it cast but the metal is also impregnated with soot, that could be part of the reason JB weld didn't work. Another possible reason is that chemical metals are designed to expand at the same rate as steel when heated, but cast iron expands more slowly. I'm sure a new manifold will fit fine, my mate is just generally unlucky, if he was in a marching band he'd have the piano!
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Also, if you do get it welded it ideally needs bolting to something in the correct position while it is welded, a slight twist or distortion and it won't fit properly afterwards!

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Thanks John. Sorry your mate has poor luck, I am looking forward to using the marching band/piano line!
Hopefully not about myself and lost packages-the manifold is supposed to be here today!

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I'm sure it will be fine, looking forward to some pics of Hyacinth back in action soon

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Manifold arrived fine and 5 days early! Also a governor diaphragm and gaskets for manifold and elbow. Should know by tomorrow about fit.
John, I will post pictures of Hyacinth, she's a little rough, but she's my favorite!

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Hyacinth has bolts attaching manifold to head. Looking into some parts it looks like she should have studs and nuts.
Should I hold off replacing manifold until sourcing studs, or will the current bolts suffice?
Same question regarding exhaust elbow to manifold. The original manifold had 2 bolts and nuts and one stud (broken) for fastening_ not threaded .
The new one has 3 threaded holes

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

You can use bolts but they need to be as long as possible to use as much of the the thread as you can, but be warned, if you snap one off it can be a nightmare to get out! Studs are a better option as the thread will generally strip on the nut end if you overdo it, still leaving the stud sticking out so you can remove it. Another advantage of using studs is that if one of the threads siezes you have another thread on same fixing that will probably be free, if that makes sense! Same for the elbow

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

PS, if you do decide to use bolts, they need to be high tensile, at least grade 8.8

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Thanks John. I questioned those bolts when I did head gasket, but not knowing better plus blue paint on bolts made me figure they were original. Upon researching the manifolds made me revisit the fasteners.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The Major has bolts on the manifolds, just make sure everything is clean and you should be ok. As for the elbow it is a threaded stud on the inner hole and bolts and nuts on the outer holes. Sorry to disappoint you John.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Yep, i stand corrected Sandy, they do indeed have bolts! However i still stand by my stud theory