FSMD engine heater

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
FarmallM51
Not Quite Blue Yet

FSMD engine heater

Post by FarmallM51 »

I'd like to use the FSMD to move snow this winter. Here in Iowa temps can get to -10 degrees F. I have installed a freeze plug heater in the Dexta, but don't see any accessible freeze plugs on the SM. The temp sender on the upper block is a non-standard pipe thread, so I haven't had any luck installing a tank-type heater (I also don't see a block drain for the intake to the tank heater). It appears that my only other option is a lower radiator hose heater. Does anyone have any other suggestions? This tractor is the best starting diesel I've owned, but I don't know how it's going to react to the frigid temps. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Marlin

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: FSMD engine heater

Post by Billy26F5 »

If you run frequenly enough you should be fine, if not the coolant and fuel are what might want heat so they don't freeze, other than that enjoy the best starting engine you have.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Dear FarmallM51

Your Iowa winter temperature of -10F equates to -23C. I found my 63 New Performance Super Major started quite happily at -19C during a bad Yorkshire Dales winter in 2010. It "lived" in an open-fronted shed with just a blanket over the front nosecone, engine and fuel tank. We kept a battery condition trickle charger on it most nights to keep the battery in top condition, as daily running (moving hay bales) was not that long (30 mins) to recharge the battery fully after a really cold start.

Rather than a block heater in the cooling system (I have seen some in Canada that fit into a core plug), you could use a sump oil 110V electrical heater. These used to be available from Agri and Commercial Truck outlets, basically, a long heater element rod that was inserted down the engine oil dipstick aperture. Main thing was to remember to take the heater rod out of the engine and replace the engine oil dipstick, before you started up and drove out of the shed and pulled the plug out of the mains electric socket!

You may need to keep an eye on diesel fuel waxing. This usually occurs at about -17.5F (-8C) but if memory serves me correctly, fuel companies usually start supplying "winter" diesel from October in cold weather States. If you still have diesel bought during the summer months without the winter de-waxing additive in your tank, then consider keeping your fuel tank, fuel lines and filter housing covered, or if a really cold night, just play a hot air gun over the fuel lines and filter housing just before you start to ensure the fuel flows freely. Timeee

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Timeee wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:56 pm
I found my 63 New Performance Super Major started quite happily at -19C during a bad Yorkshire Dales winter in 2010.
One of the best qualities of the Major, the best part being that there's no heater. You should be fine as long as the diesel and coolant stay liquid.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

FarmallM51
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by FarmallM51 »

I don't have a shed, but I have considered using a blanket. I could add a heat lamp if needed. I'll make sure to get some winter diesel additive in it. I have a dipstick heater that I use in the transmission of my Farmall during cold snaps. I use 50/50 coolant, so freezing there shouldn't be an issue.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

If your fuel and coolant are ok you should be fine. A blanket will be more useful to keep damp out of the tinwork, well worth doing all year round.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

FarmallM51
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by FarmallM51 »

Overnight temp was 21 degrees F and the FSMD started without any electric heaters or ether. Just pushed in the cold start button on the pump. Cranked for about 30 seconds, then started. I'm continually impressed with this engine.
Marlin

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Sounds like your engine is not fully healthy, you should have had an instant start in those conditions. I wouldn't bother about it until you have other problems.
Sandy
ImageImageImage