Steering box overhaul

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Steering box overhaul

Post by JMD168 »

Fordson Super Major 1961, I've had this tractor for just over a year now, I've done plenty of work on it and replaced lots of bits, I've finally come to the steering which is a bit vague, on less than smooth tarmac at full speed the front wheels can get a wobble. All the linkages are now tightened up with no slop, the free play is in the steering box giving me 1/8 of a turn on the steering wheel with no appreciable movement on the track rod. Time to strip it down, all went reasonably well, went onto Agriline and Anglo Agiparts for new shaft, re-circulating ball nut, and fork, neither of them had any parts and not due for any stock until April! Looking closely I noticed the end cover had several packing shims, the fork has a taper which matches the taper on the nut so if shims are removed this gap will reduce and some of the slop will be taken out. To this end I re-built it with no shims and still found a tiny bit of end float so I knew nothing was locked solid. Put the pitman arm back on and checked the steering for play, I noticed the fork had some vertical movement which indicated the bushes were worn, now comes the difficult bit, the bushes have an O ring seal at the pitman end and the aluminium casting lip which retains the O ring and bushes has been struck with a centre pop punch to peen it over, when this was assembled the O ring would have been put in first then the first bush pressed up to the O ring then the next bush would have been pressed in, so how on earth can these bushes be removed? I see both Agriline & Anglo supply spares but I don't see how the originals are removed, they can't come out at the pitman end because of the shoulder which retains the O ring and bushes and because of the shoulder you can't make adrift to knock them out of the other end. When these bushes were put in they were never intended to be removed. Some one else must have come across this problem before and any suggestions would be most welcome. A puzzled JMD168

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Steering box overhaul

Post by mathias1 »

You can use a welder to remove them. Put a weld on the inside of the bush, it will schrink the bush.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

There's no o-ring, what you're seeing is a metal housing seal, just remove it and fit a new one of the same size with the lip facing inwards. Once the seal is out just press out the old bushes normally and fit new ones. Be prepared to have to refit shims on reassembly.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JMD168 »

I've ordered 2 new bushes and a seal, I put it all back together with no shims behind the cover plate, there was still a bit of end float and because the fork location on the nut are tapered any end float results in rotational play. The re-circulating ball nut seems very sloppy on the shaft, I suppose the balls have worn the groove deeper. I would like to buy a new shaft and nut but Agriline and Anglo are out of stock until next April ! If any one knows another supplier I would like to know. Still a bit puzzled as to how to remove these bushes, I'm thinking I may end up cutting through them along their length with a hacksaw and then collapsing them, I don't have access to any welding equipment.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You shouldn't need to cut or weld the bushes, if you post a pic we can give an opinion from it that might be different.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JMD168 »

Hi Sandy, as both Agriline & Anglo supply these bushes many people must have changed them or they wouldn't sell them, they are slightly different OD so one will not pass through another meaning you cant turn a dolly to pass through the largest to knock out the smaller one, with that removed using a larger dia. dolly you could knock out the other, but this isn't possible, the dia. are too close. I have used postimage.org to up load some photographs, but I'm not sure if they will copy.

https://i.postimg.cc/d1HVhYGF/IMG-1488.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/mgfCLYbw/IMG-1491.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/FzTsJQcm/IMG-1493.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/vm2J9H20/IMG-1492.jpg

Many people must have changed these in the past, but I can't think how they could be removed without cutting them along their length allowing them to collapse and be knocked out.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Are you sure you've got the seal out? You should be able to press the smaller one out first, then do the larger one.
If you post the "hotlink for forums" you'll get the pics visible on the forum.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JMD168 »

I'll try again with the pictures
The first picture shows the seal still in place, it is held in with a couple of aluminium washers as can be seen, on I think, Agro exploded diagram of the steering box, you can see the centre punch marks to hold the outer one in place. The last picture shows one on top of the other, ideally one should fit inside the other then a dolly could be turned to pass through the larger one, but not through the smaller one this could be used to punch it out. I could still m/c one one but the fit wouldn't be ideal, still, better try that first, easier than using the hacksaw.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You might find there's a special tool needed, but you should be able to not use the tool. Look at the manual here.
http://www.fordson.se/6_Framaxel_styrni ... 67-190.pdf
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JMD168 »

Hi Sandy,
Thanks for the info, as stated in the manual, it says, extract the bushes using tool Tr/D3576-4B. Hmmm! I don't have such a tool and I doubt many people will have, so all being well next week I will endeavour to turn a couple of dollies that may do the job, failing that it's the hacksaw, I will let you know how I got on.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Almost all bushes and bearings are supposed to be removed with special tools according to the manual, but you can easily manage without them in most cases.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JMD168 »

Hello,

Today I turned a stepped dolly to suit the bushes, realised both bushes are driven in from each end, the special tool for removing these must go through the bush and expand behind it then with some kind of slide bar, hammer one out, you can then use a conventional dolly like I made to knock the other out. But with out the special tool I heated the outer casing with a blow torch then using a large round bar from the other side hammered like hell ! moved it a few mm, but no more, out with the hacksaw, within 5 mins I'd cut through the bush it then knocked out quite easily. Any one doing this job, I recommend using the hacksaw first, its really easy.
Turned stepped dolly
As can be seen from the photo the bush fell apart, you can also see the 'O' ring and a retaining spring washer a bit like a bellvile washer, there was no conventional oil seal. With the casting hot and slightly expanded I knocked in the new bushes. That should tighten the steering up a bit.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

The first time I tryed to stop it leaking I use an O-ring, but that will not work. :scratchhead: Still leaking. Than i placed a normal oil seal :cry: . Still no good result. Then used greas cord. Stil not dry. :curse: Next time i fill it withSTC3435s Swifel HSG grease. It's used in Landrover stearing house. Hope that will help. :scratchhead:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You need to look at the rocker shaft to see if you'll need to take up the wear from the seal before you reassemble it, keep the pics coming.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JMD168 »

Time to re-assemble, using my newly turned dolly I hammered in a new bearing bush from the pitman arm end, it took many blows with a lump hammer to get it in, offered up the rocker arm, there is no chance that would even hammer in never mind rotate once fitted. Back to the lathe and polishing stick.
I had to hammer in and out, and polish both bushes in the lathe several times before I could get the rocker shaft to tap in. They must have had some different sized bushes when the tractor was first built, may be these bushes are smaller to allow for a wear allowance.
I couldn't remove the oil filler plug as I don't have a suitable square driver, so I thought I would drill and tap the end plate and fit an 1/8" BSP plug, no chance, the plate is heat treated and very hard. Next best plan is to drill and tap the top of the casing and fit an M8 screw this should be large enough to squirt in the necessary amount of oil.
Image.
I have removed all the shims and the gasket and with all the screws tight I still have a few thou end float, so that should be OK, a new steering shaft and re-circulating ball nut are out of stock until April so will try using existing. I am going to use a non setting sealant on the cover plate as I don't want any packing. Next job is to fit the O ring and spring washer hoping it will make a reasonable oil seal.
Image.
Next job, fill with oil and re-fit fuel tank and electrics etc.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Looks good, the oil filler plug is on the steering column and is a hex plug.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

JMD168
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JMD168 »

Thanks for that Sandy, I hadn't taken any notice of that plug, I'm still glad I drilled and tapped the hole so when oil flows out of there I know it will be full.
John

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You actually need to have the oil level with the filler plug, as if not the upper bearing is not lubricated.
Sandy
ImageImageImage