Fuel Line Flares

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
OhNoJoe
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fuel Line Flares

Post by OhNoJoe »

Thanks in advance. I recently purchased a 64 NPSM with a backhoe and front end loader to use to do some work where we are building a home about 2 hours away. I need to replace a couple of fuel lines, from the tank petcock to the lift pump/sediment bowl and from the pump to the canister filter. Perhaps some more. While I'm back in town I'm trying to order a flaring tool, however I don't know if I should get the 45 degree or 37 degree dyes. I just can't remember cause I'm old. Does anyone know off the top of their head 45 or 37? Thanks

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Fuel Line Flares

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Usually on these fords it are fuel lines with a special “olive” on. Never came across flanged fuel lines on them.

Rgds emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

These fuel pipes have olives on them, most aftermarket suppliers supply them but I recommend you get good second hand ones as then you know they're right.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

OhNoJoe
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by OhNoJoe »

I know that the tractor's fuel to the lift pump/sediment bowl has a flare. I have not looked closely at the connection at the petcock. It could be a repair or a replacement. The tractor does have bubble flares elsewhere. Emiel and Billy26F5, Is this what you mean by "olive" ? http://www.fedhillusa.com/?page=flare

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi, this is the olive on one of my fuel lines, its a ring that slips over the metal pipe and compresses onto the pipe when you tighten the nut (you need the correct size olive for the pipe)
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Good pic John. There are no flared pipes on the fuel system, the only flared pipe I remember on a Major is the oil pump feed pipe.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

As far as i'm aware (please correct me if i'm wrong!) Copper tube shouldn't be used with diesel as it can react with the copper, thickening and blocking the pipe. Injector lines are steel and can have flared ends (although as Emiel and Sandy say Major ones always had olives) but they need to be a 'double lap flare', as used on brake pipes, but as the pipes are steel a brake pipe flaring tool isn't strong enough. You can make your own pipes up using an olive but a flared end requires a special tool that will flare steel pipe
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The pipes from the tank to the injector pump are copper, it's only the injector pipes that are steel, and that is because of the 185 atmosphere injection pressure. The injector pipes are also very thick, only a small part allows fuel through.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

From what i've read diesel will not affect the copper but copper can cause diesel to thicken (polymerise) but only if it is left stanging in the pipe for a while. Seems to be worse with modern diesel containing more addatives. I know it's hardly likely to affect an old Major but modern diesel engine builders will not use copper in the fuel system

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Interesting to see how changes in the fuel cause changes to newer engines. Thanks very much John.
Sandy
ImageImageImage