Cold start and winter in general.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Nickm
Not Quite Blue Yet

Cold start and winter in general.

Post by Nickm »

It was the coldest night of the year so far last night.
-5 so it reckoned.
So thought it a good test to see how well the FSM started. ( It's stored in an old barn, not outside).

Glad to say it started nearly as well as usual.
Took perhaps a second and a half to start.
Didn't use the cold start button and didn't open the throttle at all.
It could be that the battery was a little down as it's been around freezing most nights since I last used the tractor a few weeks ago.
I hope all that is a good sign the engine is good.
But I have the impression that these tractors will always start well until they drop dead. Ie starting is the last thing to go. Kind of the reverse to what I've usually assumed about diesels.

Anyway, I guess like a lot of people, I won't be using it really during winter, which worries me a little as I don't just like leaving it standing.
Other than the obvious battery running down, Is there anything you could/should do during the winter to stop it deteriorating?

John b
True Blue

Re: Cold start and winter in general.

Post by John b »

If you didn't need the cold start or throttle to start it i would say you have a very good engine! It wouldn't hurt to start it every couple of weeks and let it warm up just to keep everything moving, and you could get a battery conditioner that is left attatched to the battery and plugged in and will keep it charged and in good condition. Other than that, make sure it has enough antifreeze and that the mice don't feast on the wiring over the winter, they are the cause of many burned out wiring looms!
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I agree on having a start at reasonably frequent intervals, always be sure the battery is in good condition, a slugish first half turn normally gives away a poor battery, other than that it sounds like you're fine, although I would recommend the excess fuel for conditions like that. Ensure your coolant is fine and definitely chase away any mice.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Nickm
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Nickm »

Ok thanks.
I'll give it a 20 minute drive now and again around the fields.
The only trouble I've had with mice in the past was when they chewed through a radiator hose on my car when they were thirsty.

Old52
True Blue

Post by Old52 »

If you are looking for something to do with the tractor, this is what I use our old girl for in the winter in Canada :). Without a cab it is important to pay attention to the wind direction! As a gasoline version, it starts right up with a bit of choke, even at -20C, but it does take awhile for the transmission oil to warm up! Not hard to stall the engine just letting the clutch out in neutral if you are not careful...

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Great pic, what you are blowing there is enough to shut the UK down for a week!!
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

That much will shut us down too, although with the current weather I doubt we'll see snow (I could be wrong). The petrol engine is easy to stall, and will be very thirsty too, the gearbox will warm up in about 5 minutes ploughing. The diesel engine starts right up too, and is imediately ready for work.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old52
True Blue

Post by Old52 »

So far this year we have had very little snow, that pic was from last year I think. If the snow is more than about 6-12 inches, it gets to be too much for the tractor with a 6 ft wide blower, so I need to blow some, put in neutral and clear the blower and then back up into the next several feet until it bogs down again, certainly if the snow is wet and heavy. Cold light snow, like in the picture is easy on the tractor.