Hedge find

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
John b
True Blue

Hedge find

Post by John b »

Managed to get this out of a hedge today, it was completely covered in brambles, part of a back wheel was visible if you looked hard enough, and took an hour with the hedge cutter and a 4wd Renault tractor to free it. It was running when it was parked there about 15 years ago but the great UK weather has taken it's toll. The engine is frozen up but may free off with some tlc, the tin work is gone and the rad is definitely not the right one. It was going to be scrapped so I thought i'd rescue it, not sure why. But the look on the wife's face when i got it home said it all, 'dear god not another one!'

My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Old Hywel
True Blue

Re: Hedge find

Post by Old Hywel »

Nifty bit of plumbing between Dowty and Exactor couplings.
Fergy top link, possibly Nuffield drawbar.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

From what was left of the bonnet I could just make out 'ground care and maintenance' painted on it so maybe it was used on a gang mower with separate rams?
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Superb find John, looks like you've got a lot of work there. Several mixed parts too, the dynamo is the earliest kind. The LH brake is needing attention too.
I know exactly why you rescued it, and I would have too, you couldn't bear it being scrapped and decided to get it back to work. Seems like a special one too.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

You may be able to help with this Sandy, i haven't found an engine number yet (although it was getting dark when i was looking) but on the gearbox is stamped E1ADKN 7007F T1, the number on the log book is 1103202. It says it was manufactured in 1962 but was only registered in 1981

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The number on the log book is not in the Major line (it starts at 1217101, 1103202 is an E27N). What you've found on the gearbox is the part number, in this case of the later kind that allows a dual clutch in. I would guess it was made in 62-63 (08B-756398 to 08C-960337). Once you've got some cleaning done you should be able to find all the codes and the serial number.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I did wonder about the number on the log book. I'll see what numbers i can find, as you say, a good clean will help! It's only got one correct rear wheel, the front wheels are wrong, 4 spoke not 3, and it has a through-the -bonnet exhaust elbow on it. Can't see any real evidence it ever had a loader on it (usual pitting on the side rails) although it has a nose guard and the exhaust is the loader type

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Not too bad for 15 years of unsheltered camping in the countryside :D

Would be nice to get it going again, otherwise you have plenty of parts.

Rgds emiel.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Quick update on Bramble, took the starter motor off and put a flat bar on the ring gear to see if there was any movement at all and it's completely free! Didn't turn it too far as i want to remove the injector pump first in case it's siezed up and i don't want to risk destroying it. I know the throttle and stop levers on the pump are definitely stuck solid but if i can free it all up and it's ok, i reckon a change of oil and filter, decent starter motor and a battery and she'll breathe fire again! It was a really good engine before it got parked up, spent years trying to get him to part with it and had just about given up hope until he decided to have a huge clear up, much to my wife's delight!!

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

If it is the original engine (IF!) then Sandy is right with his serial numbers, with a Minimec pump it is somewhere between April 1962 and May 1963.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I forgot to look for the engine number today as i was so shocked it wasn't siezed! As you say IF its the original engine!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Very good news John, hope the pump is fine. I understand the excitement of finding a free engine after 15 years, just shows how a well cared for engine will survive lots of things that are not great for it. It might be worth looking at the injectors while you're there.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Certainly wouldn't hurt to pull them out and put them on the tester. The only other worry i have is the liner seals, it has been stood with no water or antifreeze in it so the seals and grooves may have suffered

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You should be ok, but to be on the safe side put something into the cooling system to see what happens.
Sandy
ImageImageImage