disc brakes

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
hazzard
True Blue

disc brakes

Post by hazzard »

I have a super major. The brakes on the right hand wheel are completely useless, very spongy and there is a slow oil leak from the housing.

What does everyone with brake experience suggest I need? Besides a new oil seal will I need a new disc brake assembly, lining set or other things? Or is it best to strip it first then make a decision?

Left hand brake grabs very hard when slight pressure is applied to the pedal.

Any and all suggestions will be gratefully received !!
Many thanks, David

Emiel
True Blue

Re: disc brakes

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

My method would be dismantling, thoroughly cleaning, checking bull pinion shaft bearing for wear and then buy needed parts.

There is some info on this board about horrible spare part fitting of after market disc brake parts.

I would suggest cleaning the discs if possible and try before replace.

Rgds emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi David, as Emiel says clean and check the bull shafts for wear, and if any oil has got onto the friction discs they will need re-lining or replacing. Check the springs on the actuators and replace the balls if they are worn or pitted, clean the 'ball ramps' on the actuators thorougly but don't use grease on them when they are re-assembled as brake dust will stick to the grease and jam them up. The left brake could be grabbing if the springs are weak/broken, the friction plates are excessively worn or the actuator balls are worn/sticking (for the cost it's always worth replacing the balls when doing the brakes, if they are slightly out of round they won't apply pressure evenly over the disc surface) and use copper slip grease on the shaft splines. Emiel is certainly correct about aftermarket parts, but i have heard very good things about this company who re-line brakes, both workmanship and price, and you get to re-use your original discs which you know fit
http://www.bondingandreline.co.uk/
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

As the others say, examine first, before you order anything, you'll probably want to inspect both brakes while you're at it. Once you've got them closed up again ensure the adjustment is correct or you won't have the correct performance.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

Thanks for the responses, I will get them all apart and proceed with neccessary parts :)