Flushing gearbox and transmission

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Lesterz
Not Quite Blue Yet

Flushing gearbox and transmission

Post by Lesterz »

I drained the oil from gearbox and transmission today and both were very creamy colour and the transmission filter was clogged with gunk.
Is it OK to use a mix of oil and kero to flush out both sections? I have 20 litres of 85w/140 gear oil and 20 lt of Tractran TF-10 which is 80W oil that I have no other use for. What ratio would I mix these with kero if that is an OK thing to do?

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Flushing gearbox and transmission

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

If it’s really dirty flushing out will do not much good.

Best procedure for rear axle housing is taking lift of and pump pedestral out and clean with a brush and diesel.

Not difficult but heavy parts. Very good results and you’re sure your expensive oil is not dirty immediately.

Regards emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Lesterz
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Lesterz »

Thanks Emiel,
I guess I was hoping for a quick fix for now😩 but I just might have to bite the bullet. Do you know if there any seals/gaskets/o rings that I should get before I start?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Always clean the hydraulic pump filter and magnetic filters when you change the rear axle oil, as you have lots of sludge you can do a clean with diesel removing the top cover, gearbox filler plug and belt pulley cover (I would think twice if you have a belt pulley as then you'll have to set the backlash if you remove it) and using a compressed air system to blow the diesel into the areas you can't get into, then let it drain out for at least 24 hours and before you refill with the right oil flush out the diesel with oil to avoid thinning the oil you're about to put in. You'll need a gasket for the hydraulic pump filter, top cover and belt pulley cover (if you have a belt pulley you'll need more than one gasket, Ford suggested that 2 or 3 would do); I recommend you make them from gasket paper.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Lesterz
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Lesterz »

I have read that diesel can affect o rings/seals and kero is a better option. Have you had any problems with diesel and rubber?? I guess that the diesel would not be in there very long and might not have time to cause issues??
To get the hydraulic top housing off I would need to get an engine lifter but I do not have a cement floor to use it on. Would have to get some c section steel to make tracks for it, which will hopefully be level enough🙄.
The belt pulley is no longer on the tractor. The opening has been covered by a piece of what looks like chipboard. So I assume backlash setting will be no problem if I replace board with a steel plate and gasket/s.
Lester

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Kero will be fine. If you have a Major top cover lifting it off by hand is quite possible but very heavy, a Super Major top cover is another matter as it has to come up level the first 2" to avoid breaking the feed pipe bracket. The backlash is relevant if you refit the belt pulley, if you fit a cover you just need a single gasket. Definitely remove your wooden cover, as that might cause dirt to get in.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

And for the lift cover; liquid gasket is your friend.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

I bought my Major from a guy that lifted the top cover by hand from a lorry. He had to go to the hospital with all horns and bells and could never lift anything heavy. Thats why he sold it. :scratchhead:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:43 pm
If you have a Major top cover lifting it off by hand is quite possible but very heavy
I meant this if you have an assistant for that.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

2 of us lifted the cover off a super Major using ropes and 2 long scaffold tubes that we lifted from outside the rear wheels but that was in my younger days, now the engine crane is my best friend!
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The Super Major cover is heavier and more difficult to lift, so good work there John, I definitely agree on better lifting equipment for lifting a Super Major cover to avoid cracking the feed pipe bracket.
Sandy
ImageImageImage