engine rebuild

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

engine rebuild

Post by mathias1 »

Well,
a little update on this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7733&hilit=engine+rebuild
Due to other duties I haven't been doing a lot on the tractors and same for the rebuild engine.
It's still sitting in the garage, so the plan is to continue and swap the engine in the super major. It's time to get the job done.

Just wondering if I should give it some paint before install, or after?

Any ideas on renewing the clutch while going through the process? It has the heavy 13" single clutch
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

John b
True Blue

Re: engine rebuild

Post by John b »

Paint it before you fit it and touch up any chips/scratches once it's in. I've tried both ways and it's definitely easier to paint it on the stand! Put an acid etch primer on all the aluminium/alloy bits first or the paint wont stick properly
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You've had the same problem as us with Super Billy: you think you'll get it done in no time and many years later you're still at it (I think you're luckier than us as we've been at it since 2008!). We're in a similar stage, awaiting the best moment to get the engine back on.
If you want to be true to the original painting practice you'll want two thin coats of blue on everything, I think I'm right in saying that the engine, gearbox and rear axle were painted as one, with all ancilleries except a sediment bowl fitted. Ford never bothered with primer other than some red oxide just outside the foundry before any machining on the large castings.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I think you are right about how they were originally painted Sandy, from what i have seen the skid unit was painted as one, the tin work and wheels were the only things painted separately. I used red oxide to prime mine and found it easier to paint the engine on the stand as i could turn it over and get into all the awkward bits. I know it's not stictly true to the original but i have done the exhaust and manifold and the radiator black and the inlet manifold, injector pump and filter heads are left as bare metal. I have seen so many so called restorations where the tractor looked like it had been painted with a watering can in a high wind, paint on the tyres, battery etc that i wanted it to look like it has been properly done but not too far from the original. They were made using the cheapest production methods possible, which at the time was fine as they were an affordable agricultural machine, but as a restoration i think a few cosmetic modifications are acceptable. I'm sure they would have been made with more shiny bits if they had been aimed at a richer market instead of post war farmers. It's important for me to stay true to the original colour scheme (thanks to Sandy's knowledge!) but at the end of the day i guess it's up to the owner, it's their tractor so if they want to paint it pink, it's up to them
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

John b wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:38 pm
at the end of the day i guess it's up to the owner, it's their tractor so if they want to paint it pink, it's up to them
Agree 100% John.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

I'm never really happy seeing a restored tractor "shinier" than when it left the factory.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I totally understand that alot of people like to see them exactly as they left the factory, and it's a subject that causes much debate. In my view the use of 2k paint and having everything polished to perfection is over the top, but then i think that painting everything in sight blue looks like a 'lazy' restoration to the untrained eye. I suppose alot depends on what it will be used for, if it's going to be a show tractor then originality is essential. The one I am doing is going to be used in a small working museum, and most of those who see it will not be aware of what it looked like when it left the factory (alot of them will probably think the grilles should be orange), and i just think it looks better with a few bits in a different colour or unpainted. I'm sure many will disagree with me but if nothing else, it's something that helps a few pints of beer go down while discussing it!

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

I'm trying to make it as good as possible, but not a shiny one.
Will use the New Holland paint for it.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The cheap Agriline paint we got in 2011 is a pretty good match for Billy and Davie, I hope you'll be lucky with your New Holland paint. Remember that the exhaust was originally painted blue with the rest of the skid unit, just in case you were wondering.
Sandy
ImageImageImage