Low engine revs + air cleaning issue

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Low engine revs + air cleaning issue

Post by Billy26F5 »

shepp wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:03 pm
The thing is that once a proper new or unrestricted air cleaner with correct oil level and a new inlet manifold hose has been fitted, then we can be confident that the air supply side of the inlet manifold venturi is up to specification. The maximum no load engine speed can then be set to 1800rpm by the adjusting screws on the venturi. The vacuum effect on the governor diaphragm and spring is brought about and controlled by the difference between the vacuum on one side of the venturi to the other side of the venturi - one vacuum pipe enters above the venturi and one below. If the air supply side is out of spec it will affect how the venturi controls the governor.
And it will cause excessive revs when correctly adjusted and without the filter in good condition (dry or damaged). I think returning the filter to its original position is quite a big job, and I see no point in replacing the air hose until the filter is moved back, even though it will be damaged by the oil (which should be cleaned up urgently).
Soukup wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:55 am
It will be a bigger operation though, there is a bracket welded on the battery platform to allow mounting of the bigger battery. The wall between engine and battery is also cutted. I need to figure out some way of fixing the filter where it bellongs.
Your best bet is probably a second hand replacement battery tray and firewall from eBay or a scrapy.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

If Soukup needs the tractor now could he not just soak his mesh-element in lubeoil and after allowing the excess to drip off fit it in the filter housing without filling the bowl.
He would then have a filter similar to many classic cars and bikes.No risk of sucking oil!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It wouldn't do the job as the heavier dust gets caught in the oil in the bowl. With no oil that dust will go into the engine.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Soukup
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Soukup »

Right now Im thinking about what to make the gauze from. It is possible to get a steel wool, which could be then squeezed between two plates of very fine stainless "beekeepers grid". Im little bit afraid about the steel wool. I would not be happy if some of the wires got loose and been sucked into the engine.

What about some other filtering material? Just as a short period solution before I get the new filter. (here in Czech Republic it is quite hard to get any fordson spares).

I need the tractor to get the firewood home, due to the skyrocketing price of gas.. :curse:

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

There is no reason you couldn't fit something like this for now (as long as it stays dry)
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I would try to get mesh of a similar style to the mesh in the removable element, you should then be able to use the original filter fine. John's paper element will not filter as well and will clog up very quickly, but it is probably the quickest fix.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Soukup
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Soukup »

I would like to use the current filter and only substitute the missing mesh. What about something like this? (the green one)
It is plastic, but it should not be and issue because is should only filter incoming air and therefore cool itself?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I wouldn't use plastic as it might not like being in oil. Something like the mesh in the removable element is what you need.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Soukup
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Soukup »

Well, what I managed so far was to move the air cleaner back to where it should be +- 5mm i guess. I fitted new air hose and currently waiting for a new air cleaner (out of stock on agriline).

btw I found a spot on the battery tray where is the original blue color visible.. Much nicer than this weird light blue.

What I noticed when I started was that when i give no throttle the revs drop to 400-500 /min. Could there be some issue, that the whole revs range is moved down? Just a thought I dont know if this is possible.

What I understood is, that the revs would increase even in normal state when the intake hose is removed. (even with no restriction of air in the cleaner) So maybe the problem is in some setting anywhere else?

The air intake setting is turned all the way out though, so I dont know where to look.

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

What are your revs now at max throttle setting?

Soukup
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Soukup »

I can get only 1500 revs now

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

500/1500 revs isent too bad,is your rev-counter reading right?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Good work, have you got the new mesh back in? If not you should wait for that. Once you have the filter with the correct oil level and complete mesh and pre cleaner on, set the idling screw (lower one) to 550 rpm and the no load max screw (upper one) to 1800 rpm, you might also want to check that the throttle linkage is moving nicely.
Sandy
ImageImageImage