What sealing compound for Liners

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

What sealing compound for Liners

Post by LakeLox »

Hi all, new Fordsons, have been playing with Fergusons for years, been searching for a few hrs now but haven't found anything definitive. I noticed in the manual I have, the single O-ring Liner mentions a sealing compound for the top of the liner. I see most just use the head gasket, some use silicone etc. What is the general concensus, to seal or not to seal??. I am a big fan of Loctite No3. an aviation gasket maker I have had great success with this on metal to contacts like crankcase halves and other mated surfaces. What should I do or shouldn't do?
:beer:
:beer: from the Outback Oasis Lake Cargelligo NSW Australia
He with the most toys wins :clap:
1960 Fordson Power Major, Eng S/N 1554727

Emiel
True Blue

Re: What sealing compound for Liners

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

I used loctite 510 with succes the last time. Make you use a very tiny amount. You don’t want your liners to be to high or not seating properly.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

What i was always taught was that the head gasket seals the top of the liner and the sealer around the flange is to stop corrosion in the flange counterbore by preventing any coolant/water from getting in. We always used wellseal around them, but as Emiel says use only a very small amount of whatever you decide to use. I would imagine it's not as critical with the anti corrosion properties of modern antifreezes to have liner flanges sealed, many of the old lorry engines never had sealer around the liner tops but the counterbores were re-cut and new liners shimmed to height. I assume (but may be wrong) this was the reason a top liner seal was added to the Super Major engine
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LakeLox »

From what I see, most are cleaning carbon deposits from this area. As was the case with my old liners and block. Indicting to my peanut brain this must be from combustion gasses creating deposits?? Am I right?? That would lead me to believe the head gasket must be letting something through?? Does that then mean, until these carbon deposits build up and create a “seal” the combustion gasses and deposits are getting past the head gasket and into the cooling system?? Unless you seal it somehow??. I’m probably overthinking it a lot thats what time on your hands can do!!, until the little voices start to argue
:beer: from the Outback Oasis Lake Cargelligo NSW Australia
He with the most toys wins :clap:
1960 Fordson Power Major, Eng S/N 1554727

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I agree with John. Do ensure the protrusion is correct (0.002"). I think the carbon is from a leak in the gasket, probably due to fatigue; I think a new gasket will seal fine.
Sandy
ImageImageImage