Changing drag link pin on Fordson power steering

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
MajorTom63
Not Quite Blue Yet

Changing drag link pin on Fordson power steering

Post by MajorTom63 »

Hi, anyone got a simple way of changing the end pin on a Fordson power steering drag link, not the one on the ram, but the other end which bolts back onto the steering arm off the steering column, completely rounded end on the drag link and not an unscrew able end, which are on some models. From the underneath is a series of castle indents and aluminium cap!!!!!!

John b
True Blue

Re: Changing drag link pin on Fordson power steering

Post by John b »

Could it be a non-original aftermarket drag link? Sandy may know if this type was used from factory
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Could you post a pic please? it sounds like John might be right, but Ford did change the drag link during Super Major production.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

MajorTom63
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MajorTom63 »

Mine is from a February 1963 model, sorry but camera is playing up & unable to post a photo at present, definitely not an after market, enfo stamped on it, hopefully that’ll be a help 😂😂

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Sounds like you have the later one then, I'm afraid they're virtually untouchable, so you'll probably want to look for a second hand one. When you can post a pic it will help us give an opinion on a possible fix for the original one.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

As you say Sandy, it sounds like the later one with a ball on one end and an eye on the other as used on the old JCB 3c. You could cut the old end off, buy a replacement screw on ball end, cut the threaded bar off it, take the rubber boot off and weld it back on to the end of the drag link. Get some grease back in the ball, replace the rubber boot and you're away!
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

MajorTom63
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MajorTom63 »

Hi guys,
Thanks for that, you have described exactly what I have with the eyelet on one end, fortunately I don’t have a lot of play in it & will be able to get by until It gives up the ghost. I’ll pack it full of grease and fit new boots and rings. Hence asking the question if there is any way of replacing the one end, I have replaced both pins in the hydraulic ram, so hopefully it’ll be all good!!! Everyone take care and thanks for all advice given 👍👍

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Drill and tap the cap on the outer flat face and fit a grease nipple, it'll make it much easier to keep it packed with grease

MajorTom63
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MajorTom63 »

Hi John, I have just been thinking exactly the same, you know that old saying
‘Great minds think alike’ 😂😂 have a good weekend to everyone, cheers Charlie

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

John b wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:14 pm
Drill and tap the cap on the outer flat face and fit a grease nipple, it'll make it much easier to keep it packed with grease
Agree 100% John. Do ensure you don't let any dirt in Charlie, as it will reduce the survival time of the original end considerably.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

MajorTom63
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MajorTom63 »

Thank you again for that, I’ll make sure that I blow it out with the airline to remove any surf & wash it thoroughly with WD40 and then let it dry, before greasing & new boot and clips…..
Cheers guys, stay safe and keep well
Charlie