62 fordson super major pto clutch won't disengage

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Livewire84
True Blue

62 fordson super major pto clutch won't disengage

Post by Livewire84 »

Are there any adjustments to the pto part of the dual clutch setup on a Fordson super major, other than the pedal adjustments ?
My clutch pedal will stop forward movement, but will not stop my pto from turning, even while turning a rotary cutter in heavy brush.
I have even tried to have the cutter running, press the clutch pedal all the way down, and drop the cutter into some thick grass but all it does is bog the tractor and then keep turning the blades.
Are there any adjustments that can be made to the original clutch, or am I looking at a clutch rebuild ?
I have tried pricing a new clutch and none are available in the US. The only thing I have found is a company willing to rebuild my original dual clutch assembly, after I break the tractor and send it to them, and it's still quite expensive !
I would like to be able to buy a repair manual as well, but soo far have been finding all my information on this website as far as adjustments, etc.
Thanks for any advice.

fenhayman
True Blue

Re: 62 fordson super major pto clutch won't disengage

Post by fenhayman »

Are you are sure that there is nothing stopping the clutch pedal going the full length of it's travel.

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

When did the trouble start?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Sounds like your clutch is not adjusted properly, what free play do you have? if the free play is excessive then you'll never get the PTO plate disengaged. As for the ford manual try this: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/ubb/F ... 01080.html You should have the complete manual here. I hope it is excessive free play as if not you'll be needing to overhaul the clutch (you'll need to split the bell housing for that, and the dual clutch is heavy).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

I recognise this problem. Repaired/rebuild a super engine about ten years ago. And fitted the old clutch back, as per owners instructions. While he was doing his first job with the tractor, working with the loader, he couldn’t get the tractor free anymore with the clutch.

Clutch was properly adjusted before refitting and I couldn’t get it working bij adjusting free play. Separated the tractor again to find the main drive plate broken in pieces and having two layers of plate between the pressure plate and centre drive plate.

This lead me to repair the clutch, as it had damage from this situation. This meant finding some other dual clutches and getting one good one out of 3 donors. With new plates of course. I must say, I don’t like the fordson major live clutch. If it were my tractor and I had to do it again I would have bought the improved clutch. That is imho the only part where aftermarket is better than original.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

Thank you for all the replies. I have adjusted the pedal to have about 1.5 inches of free play, but will look at the manual and see if I am doing it correctly.
The problem has been there every since I bought the tractor, but I've learned how to engage the pto while cranking the engine 😅. I can disengage it in an emergency, but it's not easy.
The pto has never disengaged since I've owned it, but it sat in a field for about 5 years before I bought it.
Usually I just kill the engine.
Kind of tired of using it this way.
I was hoping maybe the plates could stick or something or a adjustment be off.
Sadly, after reading all this, I think I may be like the last post and have to replace it.
I am going to try to adjust according to the manual and keep my fingers crossed though.
Will post back after adjustment.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Don't give up, I think you will have to do an overhaul, but you might be lucky and only need to replace the toggle lever adjusting screws. I would examine everything in there and then we can see what needs doing.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Are you absolutely sure that there isn't a pin inserted in the frame below the clutch pedal. Pins were inserted to keep the pto live while disengaging the gearbox side of the clutch.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Very good point, I recommend you do a test run as per manual instructions, checking the stop pin in the hole and not in the hole low down in the stop bracket allowing full clutch pedal travel (when you're not using the stop pin there is a hole higher up in the stop bracket for storage).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

I am not sure about the pin yall have mentioned, nor have I ever paid attention to there being a hole around the clutch area.
I pray it's that easy.
I have not had a chance to work on it yet, but am going to read through the link for adjustment according to the manual now.

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Look at the 'leg' of the clutch pedal under the footplate. It travels up and down in a U shaped bracket. Needs to be free to get to the bottom of the bracket to free the pto clutch.

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

I am not sure about the pin yall have mentioned, nor have I ever paid attention to there being a hole around the clutch area.
I pray it's that easy.
I have not had a chance to work on it yet, but am going to read through the link for adjustment according to the manual now.

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

There was no pin according to where the manual showed it placed.
I adjusted the pedal according to the manual, and even tried adjusting it a tad bit to tight, so it only had about 1/2 inch of slack in the pedal, and when I press the clutch pedal all the way down the pto still turns my finish mower which puts a fairly good drag on the spinning pto.
Guess it's looking like a tear down and rebuild is in my future, one day.
Thanks again for all the advice.