Oil change.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Nickm
Not Quite Blue Yet

Oil change.

Post by Nickm »

Just thought I'd renew the engine oil today.

But I have a small issue which means I'll have to partly redo the job tomorrow.

I finished the job and started the tractor and found pretty quickly there was significant oil leaking from the filter

Obviously I didn't get the new rubber sealing ring in quite the right place. (It didn't seem to want to go into the groove in the housing).

But upon further reflection I didn't see an existing rubber sealing ring when I removed the filter.

So, should there be a sealing ring there at all ( I assume there should). Or is the old one stuck in the housing which maybe I didn't notice?
It is pretty dark in the barn.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Oil change.

Post by Billy26F5 »

Get some good light for this, you should renew the rubber seal, after removing all traces of previous seals. I think your leak is from a dirty seating with bits of old seal still on. You should also check the new seal as some can be damaged before you get them.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Nickm
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Nickm »

Ok thanks sandy.
I reckon the old seal must still be in there then.

Hopefully I've not screwed up the new seal which was fine originally, other than not wanting to fit very easily.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Lubricqte the new seal with some oil before fitting.
Do yo need to refresh the oil of the pump also?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Nickm
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Nickm »

I should renew all the oil really.
Having said that, when I had the hydraulic cover off last year I topped that oil up which was pretty clean anyway. And I've changed the engine oil today.

Would you expect the oil light to take a few seconds to light after changing the oil? Usually it comes on pretty instantly.
( Mine has a more modern, non standard, warning light set up that I need to check over as well ).

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It will take a bit longer to build up pressure as it has to fill the filter first.
Sandy
ImageImageImage