axle check chain bracket threads stripped

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
leeroy
True Blue

axle check chain bracket threads stripped

Post by leeroy »

Two of the three axle threads for check chain brackets are stripped.
Loooking for ideas. I have found some posts here about the 4 hole brackets, but would still need to address threads.
Welding seems frowned upon. Would an epoxy for metal be an option?
If and when this can be fixed how should the check chains be adjusted for using a rotary mower/topping? Some slack or tight?
I am used to our 3600 which has the chains set up on the inside of arms which allows the mower to move some. I assume some slack would be best.
Thanks, Lee
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

Hair Bear
True Blue

Re: axle check chain bracket threads stripped

Post by Hair Bear »

Helicoil perhaps?
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Undo the 8 bolts that hold the axle trumpet on the rear casting and turn it 180°, the holes on top are the same as the bottom
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

John b wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:46 pm
Undo the 8 bolts that hold the axle trumpet on the rear casting and turn it 180°, the holes on top are the same as the bottom
That’s exactly what I did once. Works well. Don’t forget to chase the threads to clean them. 70 years of debris might be in these top holes.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Good point Emiel, don't want to be back to square one with a sheared off bolt in the hole or more stripped threads!!
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Last year, I have don one hole on the upside. Made a bush with inner and outher treaths. Can't remember now what I used for the outside Metric or UNC or BSW. Have not document it with a drawing.
I notice a rather thin castwork around the hole, so be carefull with Helicoile.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Sorry guys, I meant to say I had read about turning the trumpet, but don't think I'll gain anything.
Maybe previous owner already did the 180.
[url=https://postimages.org/]Image[

Henk I'm not sure I follow your fix if you'd care to try explaining further?
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I have seen a Major that just had a piece of angle each side drilled and bolted onto the mudguard bolts that held the check chains, that was used on a mower with no problems. I guess it depends whether you want it to look correct or just be practical

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Is there still thread in the casting?
What about grinding it flat so you have room for a nut and weld it to the casting?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

John b wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:31 pm
I have seen a Major that just had a piece of angle each side drilled and bolted onto the mudguard bolts that held the check chains, that was used on a mower with no problems. I guess it depends whether you want it to look correct or just be practical
Hi John, just practical at this time. I finally got rid of that "slobber" at exhaust elbow after rotary mowing for a few hours.

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

mathias1 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:42 am
Is there still thread in the casting?
What about grinding it flat so you have room for a nut and weld it to the casting?
There is thread, just the first 3-4 threads seem stripped on closer inspection. I was able to snug bolts up good after swinging bracket out of the way. Part of my problem is the mating surface of the bracket is bent and makes it impossible to line up the three bolts. I had forgotten about this issue and may have had only one bolt in.
I'm guessing a search for a used bracket may be a good starting point.

For future reference when should check chains be tight so there is no movement and when should they have slack?
Probably loose for a mower? Tight for a cone type fertilizer spreader or a light cultivator?

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

If the implement doesn't touch the ground (fertilizer spreader etc) then relatively tight but for a mower, cultivator etc then I always have 2-3 inches of sway on the implement. If the chains are too slack the implement can swing violently when in the raised position but if they are too tight it can put alot of strain on the chains when the implement is on the ground

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I recommend you try and find the heavy duty brackets (part no. E1ADKN-995179B and E1ADKN-995180B), and do as the others say, but you'll then have an extra mounting point. Billy has these brackets and they've been unaffected by the violent swaying we used to get when the chain turnbuckles were seized.
Sandy
Last edited by Billy26F5 on Tue May 31, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

henk

Post by henk »

Leeroy,

Do you have a picture from the side you are refering to? I understand the picture above is the once turned side that is now the upside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp31p8jSWaM
The video shows how a helicoil works. You can buy a set but thats expensive.
You can make one yourself on a lathe. Drill the right diameter hole in a bar and cut inner thread in it. Cut the outside on the needed diameter and cut outher thread.

Drill the correct diameter for the outer thread of the helicoil in the rear axle and cut the inner thread size from the outer thread of the helicoil.
Install the helicoil. Use locktide to secure.

Hope you get the picture.
Kind regards, Henk

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Some good stuff Henk, although I think some of the mounting points need more work. The heavy duty brackets will help.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Henk here is a picture looking up but not very clear.
I can swing bracket out of way and thread in bolts, but as soon as I snug them up they just about drop out. So my original post is correct,mthose two holes are stripped.

Sandy I like the heavy duty brackets and am on the lookout, thanks.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

leeroy wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:43 pm
Only the one bottom left with a shackle fitted is a Major heavy duty bracket, the other 4 hole ones are Super Major brackets.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

henk

Post by henk »

Lerooy,

I would go for the heli coil option, but you must have thread tools and a lathe or know someone who has that.
There is a risk if the bigger hole needed for that coil punches trough you will lose oil through it. But with some sealing it can be stopped.

The bolt is a UNC 5/8 -11 thread. Drill dia would be 13.5 mm. Outer dia 15.9 mm.
You could use M 20 normal or fine for the outher thread of the coil.
Kind regards, Henk

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:17 pm
leeroy wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:43 pm
Only the one bottom left with a shackle fitted is a Major heavy duty bracket, the other 4 hole ones are Super Major brackets.
Sandy
So Super Major brackets will not work-only heavy duty brackets for FMD?

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

henk wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:05 pm
Lerooy,

I would go for the heli coil option, but you must have thread tools and a lathe or know someone who has that.
There is a risk if the bigger hole needed for that coil punches trough you will lose oil through it. But with some sealing it can be stopped.

The bolt is a UNC 5/8 -11 thread. Drill dia would be 13.5 mm. Outer dia 15.9 mm.
You could use M 20 normal or fine for the outher thread of the coil.
Thanks Henk, I am going to ask around and look into this more. No lathe here unfortunately.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Why not just drill the holes out slightly larger, tap new threads in them and use bigger bolts?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

leeroy wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:16 pm
So Super Major brackets will not work-only heavy duty brackets for FMD?
Super Major brackets will work, but there's more chances of things not quite fitting properly due to the different tooling, they would not look right either, whereas the heavy duty Major brackets will look just right as you can see here.
John b wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:43 pm
Why not just drill the holes out slightly larger, tap new threads in them and use bigger bolts?
I think that would weaken both parts excessively, especially if not using heavy duty brackets.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

It would have to be drilled out to an even larger diameter to use a helicoil

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I hadn't thought of that!
Sandy
ImageImageImage

henk

Post by henk »

John b wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:02 pm
It would have to be drilled out to an even larger diameter to use a helicoil
You Are right John B, therefor the best way would be to make them yourself and use pa M18 Fine thread.
Kind regards, Henk