oil filter leak

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Kieran
Not Quite Blue Yet

oil filter leak

Post by Kieran »

Good evening all,
I have recently done an oil change and on starting up found it leaked around the bottom of the oil filter canister, (old type 135mm filter) where the central bolt enters the canister... I have tried multiple options of homemade gaskets and rubber washers and have at best got it down to a drip.
The thing is I am sure that the whole oil filter/canister assembly has been tampered with and am unsure what the 'factory settings' should be, what the sequence of washers/seals/gaskets/springs should now be... any tips/diagrams/info would be much appreciated...

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: oil filter leak

Post by Billy26F5 »

Try this (from the 1957 parts book, I think on the FFCN), the LH one is the Tecalemit one, the RH one is the AC one:
I think there are a couple of bits that aren't featured here, but if you post a pic of it it should be straight forward to see. Try tightening it a wee bit more just to see, as they will leak if they're not tight enough.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Kieran
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kieran »

That's fantastic, Thanks! mine is the LH one! and yes has quite a different collection of parts... what is washer no. -13- metal? rubber? combination?
If I were to look at replacing the whole assembly, is that something I would have to source second hand or is it purchasable new somewhere do you think?
Thanks again!

Kieran
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kieran »

on closer inspection mine is actually a little different to both these - the top cap has no bolts or bumps but is just smooth... just out of interest.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Sounds like you have an earlier type (that explains why the parts are different from the ones in the 1957 parts book), is it stamped AC or FRAM? They're quite different, the AC one is very similar to the later one on the RH side in the 1957 parts book, whereas the Fram one is even longer and the body has quite a different internal structure. If you can post a pic it will be easier to see which one you need.
Sandy
ImageImageImage