M45g starter bendix clutch plate lubrication

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

M45g starter bendix clutch plate lubrication

Post by LakeLox »

Hi all, just giving the starter the once over for the fresh engine. I figure its going to need all the help it can get to turn a fresh engine over. Anyway, got it all apart and cleaned up, except for the bendix. I have just cleaned it and left it together. It was very greasy and was just wondering what they are lubricated with. Can’t seem to find anything in any manuals or online about lubricants to use of if in fact they are lubricated. I would suspect there must be something for the plates judging by the amount of greasy much I got out of it??. Cheers
:beer: from the Outback Oasis Lake Cargelligo NSW Australia
He with the most toys wins :clap:
1960 Fordson Power Major, Eng S/N 1554727

Emiel
True Blue

Re: M45g starter bendix clutch plate lubrication

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

I think you mean the clutch pack in the starter drive. This is there to protect the starter for over loading. This clutch should not be greased. Only the sliding gear and the bearing bushes require lubrication.

The clutch in the starter gets greasy overtime when oil leaks in the clutch housing and is spread around by the flywheel.

I couldn’t get our fmd hardly running due to a slipping starter clutch. The solution was disassemble clean and assemble again. Next thing is fix the oil leaks causing this.

Rgds
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The plates are left dry, so you should clean them. Here's the manual: http://www.fordson.se/8_9_Broms_sl%E4p_ ... 01-010.pdf
We refer to it as a bendix too, but Ford refers to it as the Pinion and clutch assy. Hopefully your leak will have been cured by the engine overhaul, but check the bell housing before refitting the engine.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LakeLox »

I was thinking that it would be counter productive to have it lubricated when you rely on friction to do the work in the clutch pack. Thanks heaps, you’re right about the oil leak in the bell housing and everywhere else for that matter. Hopefully the total rebuild will address a lot of issues. Cheers
:beer: from the Outback Oasis Lake Cargelligo NSW Australia
He with the most toys wins :clap:
1960 Fordson Power Major, Eng S/N 1554727