Power Steering Pump

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
OhNoJoe
Not Quite Blue Yet

Power Steering Pump

Post by OhNoJoe »

Hey reaching out from near Wimppyvile, IL USA. I'm got a basic question. I am removing the power steering ram from my badged 64 Super Major. Can I run a simple hose loop from the high pressure outlet to the low pressure inlet on the power steering pump so I could run the tractor to do some maintenance while I get the cylinder fixed up. I would like to warm up the tractor to change the oil, change the bucket on the backhoe and if I'm brave enough adjust the injector pump timing. Thanks in Advance.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Power Steering Pump

Post by mathias1 »

Just take off the nelt on the steering pump. Unless you have different setup there is one belt for the steeri´g and anotherone that takes the water pump and dynamo
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Power Steering Pump

Post by Billy26F5 »

As Mathias says, remove the steeribg belt, there are three nuts on the pump mounting bracket to do this with long slots. While you're there it might be worth removing thre pump for the time being and replacing the filter. How does the engine run? If it runs well I wouldn't interfere with it, if you have poor starting or excessive knocking reset the timing to 21º BTDC (assuming you have an as built engine with a minimec).
Sandy
ImageImageImage