External spool valve

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
hazzard
True Blue

External spool valve

Post by hazzard »

Hi, I have bought a Lemken 2 furrow plough with hydraulic turnover. My query is how will I be able to lift and lower the plough in and out of work and turn the plough over using standard Super Major hydraulics without fitting an external spool valve, which I have in stock.

Hydraulics are in good order throughout.

Many thanks in advance. :D

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: External spool valve

Post by Billy26F5 »

What sort of ram does the plough have? You could get a DAR valve, but that needs a double acting ram on the plough.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

Hi Sandy,
My plough is single acting ram with double springs for the return so not just sure what to do.
I did wonder if the three way control button on top of the standard spool valve would work in the middle position, ie will the plough lift up then when the link arms get to the top of the travel then the external service would come into work and power an external spool valve.
Just a thought.
David :?

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Plough hydraulic pipe onto the trailer coupling, just lift the plough out of the ground but not to the top of the lift, (if you are in draught control you will have to find the neutral balance point) , pull out the selector knob and raise the lift lever a bit, the turnover ram will operate and turn the plough over, when the plough hits the turnover stop push the selector knob in the plough will rise to the top of the lift then you are ready to enter work again. At the other end raise the plough out of work to the top of the lift, pull out the selector knob then push the lift lever down enough until the return spring operates to turn the plough over, go to the start of work and push the selector knob in and the plough will drop into the furrow and lower the lift lever to the desired depth setting.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Shepp's explanation is excellent, remember you can use the arms or the external connection, but not both. don't let the hydraulics run in the raising position once the plough has turned over until the external service valve has been returned to the inner position for the arms. That will avoid undue stress to the hydraulic pump and pressure relief valve.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

hazzard
True Blue

Post by hazzard »

Thank you Shepp and Sandy, I would never have worked that out without your instruction. The plough is actually a 3 furrow Lemken but having lifted it once with the hydraulics complaining I intend to remove the 3rd furrow and use it as a 2. It also has a depth wheel which I won't use in the 2 furrow mode.

Many thanks all, good advice :D

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The depth wheel is unnecessary with a Super Major, whatever the implement is. I think the hydraulics should be able to handle that plough, you might need a bit of extra weight at the front for stability, as Ford used with the Ransomes TS83.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

If it is a rear mounted wheel it is not really a depth wheel. What you are supposed to do is plough in draught control and set the rear wheel so that it just brushes the ground surface without carrying any weight. It is there to prevent the rear furrows suddenly digging in if the tractor front wheels suddenly go over a hillock and the front of the tractor pitches sharply upwards. A true depth wheel is mounted near the front furrow, not many ploughs have them these days, that's one of the reasons why the old Ransomes TS59 series of ploughs are so popular for match ploughing, the depth wheel and the YL bodies.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.