Oil Light

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Jimbratt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Oil Light

Post by Jimbratt »

Hi Guys,
Driving my Super Major back home on Sunday I noticed the Oil Warning light came on
Checked oil Level and all is fine
just wondering if
A. Oil might have been to hot (It was a hot day and id driven her for about an Hour)
B. Electrical issue ?
C. Oil Pressure switch has gone faulty
D. Something more serious

Any ideas what tests I can do

Thanks
Jim

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Oil Light

Post by Billy26F5 »

I suggest you put an oil pressure gauge in place of the switch and see what it shows. If the pressure is good the switch needs investigating, if the pressure isn't good you'll probably need to rebuild the engine, but we'll see about that once you know if there is pressure or not.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

How was the light when the engine had cooled down somewhat? Does it flicker when the engine is up to normal temperature and running on slowest revs? The time it takes to come on after the engine is stopped when it is up to temperature can sometimes give an indication of what pressure you have, switches do go faulty and old switches can stick open or closed. The only certain way to know what is going on is to do as Sandy says and use an oil pressure gauge and check the pressures when cold and when up to working temperature. Presumably your filter is newish and not blocked and the oil is not diluted by something such as a diesel leak from the injector leak off pipes?
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

SvendH
True Blue

Post by SvendH »

Looking through the Oil fill cap hole,you Can check to see if lubeoil is reaching the rocker arm bearings.if it does you will have enough pressure to use the tractor.
Kind regards. Svend

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

My PM oil light comes on occasionaly. This is caused by oil and sawdust building up on the block and pressure switch and making a contact with the lead. A quick wipe with some paper over the switch and lead cures it. Hope yours is as simple Dave
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

Jimbratt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jimbratt »

Thanks Guys
Ive ordered a oil pressure gauge and will fit when it arrives
I have not been to the tractor since last Sunday so will check it now its cold

Thanks for the tips
i will keep you informed

Thanks
Jim

Jimbratt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jimbratt »

Just giving you all an update
Done oil pressure test and running at 60psi
Went for a run on Sunday for about an hour Temperature stayed low and oil light stayed off

Hopefully it is sorted

Thanks again for your advice

Jim

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Running at 60 psi? Hot or cold?

60 is quite high on a major I think.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

At least you have pressure, it could have been dirt causing a short circuit externally as Dave said. To fix your oil pressure (should be 45 psi) you'll need to remove the sump and dismantle the oil relief valve on the oil pump cover, give it a good clean and refit it, you should now have the correct pressure. Ensure there are no extra spacers, you should have the valve, spring, seat and retaining split pin (see a manual or parts book).
Sandy
ImageImageImage