Choosing and finding a Fordson Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Choosing and finding a Fordson Major

Post by outwest »

Good morning from West Wales. First time poster here with a non-technical question, if such are acceptable?

I have a bit of land and woodland attached to the house, and am thinking about getting a tractor for light duties. Occasional topping of rough ground with a flail mower, hauling logs about, maybe running a log splitter off the PTO when tidying up windfalls, that sort of thing.

In theory I could spend a lot of money on a new compact tractor. I'd prefer to re-use an existing, simpler piece of machinery, look after it for a while, and pass it on to the next person in good condition when I no longer need it.

My dad had a TE20 back in the 1970s but I'd like more power in reserve than that. A 1964 DB 990 Implematic has popped up locally, but I don't know anything about those. My uncle had a Fordson Major, and I know they have a reputation for being good starters.

Whatever I get would need to be reasonably reliable. I work full-time (so quite busy), my mechanical skills are limited, and I don't have a workshop, so a restoration would be beyond me. I could maintain a restored/already tidy example, and probably call out a tractor mechanic for anything major.

I have two questions.
1) Are the differences in functionality and performance between Major Mk II, Mark III, Power Major, and Super Major important enough for me to care about?
2) Where should I look to buy a Fordson? There are a few on eBay, but often at steep prices. I see a restored 1961 Super at £5,750, for example!

Thank you
Dan

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Choosing and finding a Fordson Major

Post by Billy26F5 »

The answer to question no.1 I think is that you'll be fine with any of them, the later ones have a bit more power but there's more to go wrong with the hydraulics.
I would avoid restored tractors, as they're way too expensive and you never know if they've been made good for hard work or just nice to look at, a good working one is the best option, as you're more likely to get good reliability and a better starter and if you're lucky a good price. Major's are very reliable if cared for properly, so you'll probably want to replace all oil and filters to start with, as you then know you have good oil and clean quality filters; then do a good check of the electrics to avoid any problems with them. Your uncle should be able to help with many details, and if not one or other on the forum will. Ebay could be good, but if you can see the tractor running it will help find a good one. Don't be put off by white smoke, if they're not worked hard the smoke will appear, and only hard ploughing will get rid of it.
Major's are very easy to work on, there's good access to everything so don't be afraid of having a go at it.
Here are some offers I might recommend:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165571739979 ... SwG45hnUaW
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225100558711 ... SwmO1i36LU this one might not be as good price wise as it seems
I must say these are still very expensive for my taste, but there isn't much else on ebay at the moment.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

Hi, welcome along.
The 990 is a nice machine but from memory it has a four range transmission, and at least 3, if not 4 different hydraulic modes/settings. If you have the need for it all it's great but it's a lot to sort out if it goes wrong and I wouldn't know what the spares availability is like. I used to run greys and 35s and the first noticeable difference I find is that if you're hopping on and off all day the Major is that little bit higher and by tea time you know about it!
Rob.
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

A major is a solid engineered tractor. A db also, but far far more complicated.

Find one which is affordable and not too far away. They are all old and neet a bit of tlc every now and then. A new Chinese tractor will need far more attention.

Rgds
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

Thank you Sandy, Rob and Emiel for the advice.

Prices for vintage tractors have been silly for some years, unfortunately, at least in comparison to what they were before. When I think back to 2014, when I bought my Defender pickup, I feel like kicking myself: at that time I could have got a very decent Fordson or similar for much less money than what I paid for the Land Rover. The plan is to sell the (very tatty) Defender to offset the cost of the tractor as much as possible.

Anyway, the main problem living out here in Pembrokeshire is that we're so far away from centres of population that it's very difficult to view anything that's not local. Hard to justify driving five or six hours to say, the Marches and back on spec. So, as advised earlier, the best thing is probably to wait until something appears in this area, which is what I did with the Defender.

I wouldn't buy Chinese, but a decent Japanese (Kubota or Iseki) is an option. The problem is that to get near similar power levels you'd be talking closer to £15,000 than £5,000, which is a lot for what is basically indulging my firewood/woodland hobby!

When my late father taught me to drive the Fergie when I was about 10 years old, he told me not to drive with my thumbs inside the wheel. "If the steering kicks back the spokes of the wheel will break your thumbs like matchsticks, as happened to somebody I knew" he warned me. I'm not fully convinced that was true, but it was a memorably lurid point.

What's the story with Fordson power steering? I have seen references to it but not clear if it is just aftermarket add-ons or whether some came with it fitted as standard.

Dan

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

The thumbs thing still stands - don't do it! I think a Major is probably worse for kicking as it's heavier and delivers more force back through the linkage.
Power assisted is available to fit. Certainly not standard on earlier models.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

outwest wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:09 pm

Anyway, the main problem living out here in Pembrokeshire is that we're so far away from centres of population that it's very difficult to view anything that's not local. Hard to justify driving five or six hours to say, the Marches and back on spec. So, as advised earlier, the best thing is probably to wait until something appears in this area, which is what I did with the Defender.
Put an ad up on a local site or facebook asking for a fordson major. People will contact you if they would be willing to sell one. This did help me already to find some stuff
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Hair Bear wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:00 pm
Hi, welcome along.
the first noticeable difference I find is that if you're hopping on and off all day the Major is that little bit higher and by tea time you know about it!
I find the Dexta low, I think I'm too used to Billy, Super Major's are very high.
outwest wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:09 pm
What's the story with Fordson power steering? I have seen references to it but not clear if it is just aftermarket add-ons or whether some came with it fitted as standard.
Hair Bear wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:45 pm
Power assisted is available to fit. Certainly not standard on earlier models.
It was never std. (except on US Super Major's), it was optional though (and made by Ford), and many conversions used it (Roadless, County, JCB, Bray...), I don't think it's really necessary, parts are difficult to get. I would definitely stay away from aftermarket versions as they're very poor and quite different from the original one.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

This looks interesting.
https://www.watsonmachinery.com/fordson-major/764

Not bargain basement, but not too bad, and it's a proper dealer (i.e. not a scammer).

Dan

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

Looks nice, good tinwork, fair tyres, decent roll bar on it, air cleaner mushroom missing. Looks like an alternator fitted as well as a different starter. Could be nothing, but there appears to be a lot of oil around the exhaust joint and spots on the blue paint at the back as though it's being blown from the top of the stack.
Long drive home though!

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

Hair Bear wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:49 pm
Looks like an alternator fitted as well as a different starter.
Yes, there's an ebay listing that mentions the alternator.
What is the point in such a conversion?
Long drive home though!
At a stately 10mph...

Dan

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

outwest wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:13 pm
Hair Bear wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:49 pm
Looks like an alternator fitted as well as a different starter.
Yes, there's an ebay listing that mentions the alternator.
What is the point in such a conversion?
Long drive home though!
At a stately 10mph...

Dan
Ask for a delivery? People who sell these, mainly have also a possibility to deliver it at your home.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

A bit too expensive for my taste. I think the black on the exhaust is burned paint, so it has been worked a bit. This Mk2 Major needs a replacement cone pre-cleaner, the check chains need to be attended to as well. People fit an alternator because they don't want to adjust the charging circuit, but a good dynamo and regulator are more than enough to keep the battery in good condition. They also fit different starters because they prefer a button or key to the std. lever. Your long drive would actually be at 15 mph at full revs in 6th. Still better to ask for a trailer or lorry!
Sandy
ImageImageImage

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

Yes indeed, joking aside I would definitely be looking for a delivery for any older tractor! When my dad picked up the TE20 in the evening he spent pretty much all night driving it back. Would like to avoid that.

As for the price, I have to consider the value of (my) time as well as monetary value. Ultimately I would be prepared to pay more in cash terms for something that doesn't need significant work in the near future. Changing oil and filters and other general maintenance I can handle. Spending dozens of hours trying to split it, fix it and put it back together again is a different kettle of fish. Very educational and probably deeply satisfying if you have the spare time, a place to work, and the tools, but that's not me at the moment.

Obviously for a machine this age, some jobs will need doing every few years, and that's part of the experience and the responsibility. For now, however, I just want to be able to putter back and forth with a pallet full of logs, and have it on charge and under a cover while it's not being used. Maybe this isn't realistic...

Dan

PS Had a look on Facebook as per mathias1's suggestion and that turned up a few candidates not on ebay, etc.

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

I reckon two 12 hour shifts should do it. A couple of sunny days out taking all the back roads up over the Pennines. Nice little adventure to mark the beginning of Major ownership.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

outwest wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:24 am
For now, however, I just want to be able to putter back and forth with a pallet full of logs, and have it on charge and under a cover while it's not being used. Maybe this isn't realistic...
That seems fine to me.
outwest wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:24 am
Spending dozens of hours trying to split it, fix it and put it back together again is a different kettle of fish. Very educational and probably deeply satisfying if you have the spare time, a place to work, and the tools, but that's not me at the moment.
It might be worth seeking one out that has just had the gearbox to rear axle seals replaced to avoid thinking when you'll be needing to do it. You should manage to replace those if you ever needed to in a weekend, there are plenty of posts on the forum so you can see what you need and how easy it is to do.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:51 pm
It might be worth seeking one out that has just had the gearbox to rear axle seals replaced to avoid thinking when you'll be needing to do it. You should manage to replace those if you ever needed to in a weekend, there are plenty of posts on the forum so you can see what you need and how easy it is to do.
That's a good point and something to keep in mind, thank you.

Of course, complexity comes in many forms. I've just been leafing through the manual for Iseki's shiny (and very impressive) flagship model, which devotes three whole pages to the problem of DPF regeneration, how to do it, and what happens if it doesn't get done. I'm pretty sure that's one thing I'd not have to worry about with the Fordson.

Dan

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

As long as you change oils and filters at the right time and do plenty of greasing you'll be fine with a Major. If you can keep it clean so much the better, but that does require lots of spare time. No DPF here, but on light loads like the ones you mentioned DP would be less of a problem anyway (I think). We were discussing tractors earlier with friends here and they're fed up with constant electronic failures, and the expensive repairs they need. No Major will have such trouble, there are no electronics, and the closest to something of the sort is the charging circuit (which would have electronic parts if there's an alternator, the rectifing diodes).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I know it's a Fordson forum, but for a general small tractor you could do alot worse than the Leyland 245 (or 253 as they were first badged). Same 3 cylinder engine as a MF135, will run all day on a cupful of diesel and plenty of grunt for a smallholding. They are a reasonably priced and very under- rated tractor, the only real issue to check is that the pto engages correctly and stays in gear, best done by connecting it to a mower and trying it. Most later 245s had power steering and a cab and can be picked up for under £2500, we used one on the farm for years and as far as i remember never had to put a spanner near it (apart from servicing). Majors are cracking tractors that will put up with all sorts of abuse (not condoning it, just saying!) and I have owned many over the years but the little Leyland is far easier to drive with a topper on. While they won't take the sort of serious abuse a Major will, if they are looked after and used sensibly they should stay trouble free. The only real issues are the hydraulic control linkages need to move freely as they have a tendency to sieze if not used regularly and the PTO selector, Drivers tended to engage the PTO without using the hand clutch damaging the coupler and shaft inside which can be an expensive fix, hence the need to try the PTO before buying. Apologies for recommending another brand on here, but it's just my humble opinion!
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

John b wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:35 am
I know it's a Fordson forum, but for a general small tractor you could do alot worse than the Leyland 245 (or 253 as they were first badged).
John, I remember Leylands with affection from my childhood around here. I thought my friend's dairy farm had a 245 but it was probably a 272. Certainly something to consider, although there don't seem to be that many about compared to the Fordsons.

Dan

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

Since I have people's attention, I wonder if I could ask about the hydraulics. I don't anticipate doing much, but the Major seems to have a single hydraulic pipe. Would this be suitable for a hydraulic transport box like this? The manufacturer says it requires a "double acting spool valve". The context is that every now again I need to wheelbarrow hardcore down the track to improve the worst of the potholes. Of course, hydraulic isn't mandatory, but it might be nice to have and I don't understand the capabilities and limitations of the Fordson setup.

Dan

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

If you get a Super Major you can get a DAR valve, you can fit a similar thing to an earlier Major, but it's more difficult. you could also use a box with the frame from a buckrake, but then it would be a bit difficult to control the amount of material tipped.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:24 pm
If you get a Super Major you can get a DAR valve
Thanks, interesting, presumably this sort of thing? I guess that a tipping trailer would require this as well. Nice to have, but if I'm not careful I'll end up with serious mission creep and a long list of items to tick off on my shopping list. I should probably stick to the basics. Good to know though.

Dan

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Dan if you're going to use a topper or anything driven by PTO seriously consider a "Live Drive" Major where the forward motion can be stopped rather than being driven forwards or backwards by the momentum of the implement. Found on a few Majors, more on Power Majors and fitted to most Super Majors. Useful too if you ever fit a loader.

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

fenhayman wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:33 pm
Dan if you're going to use a topper or anything driven by PTO seriously consider a "Live Drive" Major
I'm starting to think that's the way to go. Is there some way to tell by looking at the machine, e.g. a badge?

EDIT
On the subject of a Super Major, obviously this is quite pricey but, depending on what it's had done, it might be interesting...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265809391362

Dan