some oil leaks

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

some oil leaks

Post by mathias1 »

Yesterday I did a test run with the selene.

she got some leaks around the sump.

This should be an easy one: copper washer

This scares me a bit:
I must say there is also oil coming from the inlet manifold, maybe the oil level in the air filter is a bit high.

And also a strange spot (I forgot to take a picture) on top of the flange between gearbox and rear end. I noticed the oil level is there also higher then normal. Will need to check the gearbox I guess.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: some oil leaks

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think the oil on the sump is spilt from the manifold and breather pipe, give everything a good clean and run the engine seeing where there are leaks and how the oil comes out. Check the tightness of the bolts near the relevant leaks, it will save a lot of work if that stops the leaks. The breather pipe rubbers might need inspecting too. It does sound like the gearbox to rear axle seals might not be good, but try to see if the two levels are the same or not so you can replace the right seal (unless you want to do them all anyway).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Rear axle. Start with pto seals before taking it down completely
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

I'd have thought a fibre washer would be better on the valve chest. The pipe to tank leak looks like there's been some force on it by the way the paint is off all around the joint. A bit of brazing on both joints could be all it needs.
If that was an old Land Rover you'd be over the moon with that number of leaks. It's just 'marking it's territory'.
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Emiel wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:55 pm
I don't think we know what has leaked, but if it does seem to be the PTO seal it should mean the oil is at the same level. If it's not it's the main seal (the oil wil be just below it in the gearbox).
Hair Bear wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:23 pm
I'd have thought a fibre washer would be better on the valve chest.
It's one of these copper washers that gets crushed when you tighten the bolt, it could just be a loose bolt.
Hair Bear wrote:
The pipe to tank leak looks like there's been some force on it by the way the paint is off all around the joint. A bit of brazing on both joints could be all it needs.
That's actually the breather pipe to the air filter, and it fits on with rubbers, they often get cracked and leak, Dunlop Tractor Spares had new ones.
Hair Bear wrote:
If that was an old Land Rover you'd be over the moon with that number of leaks. It's just 'marking it's territory'.
I think that's pretty good for a Major. Kenny has plenty of leaks, but he had many more because filler and drain plugs weren't on tight enough.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

"That's actually the breather pipe to the air filter, and it fits on with rubbers, they often get cracked and leak, Dunlop Tractor Spares had new ones."

Doh! I can see it is now. :oops: Why I couldn't identify that earlier I have no idea.
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Emiel wrote:
I'm afraid it will be the seal from hell (the upper one). I checked and the oil level really dropped a lot in the gearbox. And I almost did not use the pto, only a few minutes to try the winch.

Hair Bear wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:31 pm
"That's actually the breather pipe to the air filter, and it fits on with rubbers, they often get cracked and leak, Dunlop Tractor Spares had new ones."

Doh! I can see it is now. :oops: Why I couldn't identify that earlier I have no idea.
Yes it's the breather pipe, didn't know it would suck that much oil?

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:48 pm
Emiel wrote:
I don't think we know what has leaked, but if it does seem to be the PTO seal it should mean the oil is at the same level. If it's not it's the main seal (the oil wil be just below it in the gearbox).
good point, will measure those levels. Anyway, when all the oil has to come out, it's almost half way the job.
I still have a spare double lip seal that can be used here.
And this one does not have a hydraulic top, so not possible to pump it out using the tipping pipe.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

mathias1 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:29 pm
Yes it's the breather pipe, didn't know it would suck that much oil?
Billy leaked a bit like that in the area, I managed to seal it off a while back (Billy has a different system), it's the mist from the spray in the crankcase, and because there's the breather, it gets sucked out by the powerful vacuum in the air filter (or an even higher vacuum in the intake manifold like Billy), unless the rings are bad.
mathias1 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:34 pm
And this one does not have a hydraulic top, so not possible to pump it out using the tipping pipe.
That's a bit inconvenient, but if it is the PTO seal there's much less work, particularly with the Selene axle.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

argh update on this one.

There is a small crack in the cilinder head which causes the leak of coolant.

I replaced the rubbers on the breather pipe and so far so good.

And for the gearbox seals. I did manage to replace the PTO seal in the gearbox, but same result. This means it's splitting time. I've done this already on my other 2 tractors, but now just lacking time to do so.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Hope you don't find out it's 15 years since you realised that that needed doing and it's still not finished as we've had with Super Billy. Hope the Selene axle doesn't make it worse. The coolant leak sounds more difficult to fix.
Sandy
ImageImageImage