Power Steering Ram over extended.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
OhNoJoe
Not Quite Blue Yet

Power Steering Ram over extended.

Post by OhNoJoe »

Hey reaching out from near Wimppyvile, IL USA. I have another basic question. I am for the second time in a month removing the power steering cylinder from my badged 64 Super Major equipped with a Ford 712 Loader and a 723 Backhoe. Both times I over extended the ram while backfilling with the loader on uneven ground which caused the wheels to lock full right turn causing the ram rod to un-seated inside the cylinder. The first time, I had the cylinder rebuilt and the fellow said that the rod wasn’t bent.

I’m trying to remove the two castle nuts that connect the Steering Ball to the Drag Link (on top of the cylinder) and Steering Ball to the steering arm (on bottom of the cylinder). The first time I removed the cylinder, the top castle nut came off no problem, however, the bottom nut would just spin the Steering Ball. I couldn’t see any place to put a pick to stop the Steering Ball from spinning. I ended up using a nutcracker/buster, which damaged the threads, but I was able to chase the threads and reuse the Steering Ball. When I reinstalled the cylinder after it was repaired, I was able to turn the steering wheel to apply enough force to hold/bind both Steering Balls and tighten both nuts. I cannot do that with the cylinder ram rod over-extended. By running a wire and tying it off I was able to loosen the castle nuts. I was hoping to be able to use something to bind the Steering Ball in the small gap I have now; no luck. My pickell forks are too big and a flat screwdriver doesn’t work. Anybody got any thoughts?

When I put the cylinder back on I plan on making some shims out of plate steel to stop the ram rob from over extending. I’m worried that something inside the cylinder is missing, broken or just not right to allow the ram rod to over extend itself. Anybody got any thoughts?

Here is a link to Messick's diagram for the power steering cylinder. Never use AV Spares it’s a trolling farm!!

https://www.messicks.com/nh/152671?sect ... Id=2986597

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Power Steering Ram over extended.

Post by Billy26F5 »

The fit in the spindle arm and drag link should be tapered, and when tightened down fully the nut should loosen easily. Getting the tapered faces separate is a much harder job, but they should come off with persuasion. Before you refit it ensure the threads are nice and clean and oiled, so the grease in the ram ball joins can hold them agaist the nut coming on, then keep tightening until it's nice and tight on a typical spanner (I can't quite remember the size at the moment, although I'm thinking of the size on the std. drag link, which I think is the same).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Power Steering Ram over extended.

Post by mathias1 »

I think the problem is there's a nylon nut on it.

Did you try to hammer on the side of the steering rod?
You could also to use this tool: https://www.amazon.com/GEARWRENCH-3916D ... B003YVWHOE
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch