Topping with the 1960 Power Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Dandy Dave
True Blue

Topping with the 1960 Power Major

Post by Dandy Dave »

Dandy Dave here. I have not been here in a while. I've been topping some fields here with the 1960 Power Major and she still runs like a top. Got Married in June. Second time for both of us and settled on a 311 Acer farm here in the states. That equels about 126 Hectares. The farm was a Dariy until about 3 months ago when the farmer that rented it decided to sell the herd. We will look for a new herdsmens to take over in the near future. The Fordson will see more use than it has in years here. I recently bought a belt pulley for it but have not installed it. The wife said to me one day that she would rather have a Rock Crusher than a Diamond ring anyday. So one shows up at an auction not far away from here. I bid and I won. So the belt pulley will be necessary for her to have fun with the antique machine to rid the farm of rocks and turn them into road material.

Last edited by Dandy Dave on Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Topping with the 1960 Power Major

Post by Billy26F5 »

Good stuff, glad you've got a belt pulley, I would recommend you see how smooth it is and whether it leaks or not before you fit it so that you don't have to remove it later. Here's just one job you can use it for: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8126. I still work in acres too!
Unfortunately I can't see your pics at the moment.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yeah. On the photos I looked around the web to try to find a free site to post the photos here. I posted those though google photos but they did not seem to stick even though I have a link. Photo bucket is a site I used in the past but now they want a monthly fee. The only place I used it was here. Any place anyone can recommend?

1960 Fordson Power Major

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

ImageImageImage

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Thanks, That works. There will be more photos soon.

1960 Fordson Power Major

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Looks good. I see you have a soup can too on the exhaust! (Mr. MacGregor - our JCB - has a Cambell's soup can on his exhaust)
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Hi Dave,

has been a while. tractor is still looking good.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yes. It has been a while. The Power Major started spitting antifreeze out of the top of the radiator a few years ago and I pulled the head and found the gasket had failed. Cleaned it up, checked everything, and replaced it with a good quality gasket and seals. It runs better than ever now. It started using more oil than it use to also. I noticed that oil was around the pan area. It loosend up and was leaking. I caught it in time and tightened it. Right back to it's old self and once again and uses very little. Anyway, Here's the rock crusher. I need to get the pulley on to make it spin. :D Pay no mind to that green and yellow thing in the background. :wink: I need to paint the crusher Blue with Orange flywheels in the future so it will be a happy partner with the Power Major. :)

1960 Fordson Power Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

A few photos of the farm. The New Dairy Barn built in the early 1990's.

A view of the Catskill Mountains from the upper fields lookin west.Lots of topping to be done around the edges and a few pastures here.

The old Dairy Barn that is now nearly full of collectible tractors and other machinery.

The old barn from the top side. The old truck is a 1925 White. And resides in the old shop.

And the new farm shop.

1960 Fordson Power Major

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

That's all great stuff you've got there, the crusher looks great as it is, I would just give it a clean and use it. Looks like it's quite heavy, so it probably won't travel much but I might have over-estimated the weight. I can't over-emphasize the need for a good belt.
Enjoy your new toys!
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I have a good belt in the barn. The adjusting shafts the hand wheels attach to were bent and the threads were poor so I replaced them with new. It is ready to run but I do need to move it on the dirt and stake it down. I tried that green and yellow thing but the power is too unsteady and spins it too fast. I should beable to get better control with the Fordson power major.

1960 Fordson Power Major

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

If necessary you can also use the belt pulley in low, giving plenty of choice of speed, bearing in mind most things used a belt speed of 3115 ft/min running at 1400 rpm in high. I don't think the John Deere would be powerful enough for such a heavy crusher, the Major should be fine with it, probably wanting more load than you will ever give it anyway (with the crusher).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Nice to hear from you again Dave. Congratulations on finding a wife and a farm.
I`m envious of the stone crusher, always wanted one but never found one. A few years ago I watched a steam engine driving one being fed flints and it was really impressive the way it worked on a slow speed and produced nice hardcore, it looked efortless. That crusher was on a skid unit made from RSJ`s and about 2 - 3feet off the ground which they dragged along when the pile reached the crusher.
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Whats an RSJ? Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Rolled Steel Joist, also known as an ‘I-beam’

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

OK, Thank you. We do need to get this one tied down better and on solid ground. Up higher is OK as there would be more room to make a pile.

1960 Fordson Power Major

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Great stuff @Dandy Dave !
Where did you find a belt pulley?
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Smileys in Freehold, NY. George is an old friend that I have known for years.
https://www.mapquest.com/us/new-york/sm ... -354700150

1960 Fordson Power Major

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Dandy Dave wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:57 pm
Smileys in Freehold, NY. George is an old friend that I have known for years.
https://www.mapquest.com/us/new-york/sm ... -354700150
Thanks Dave! One of the earliest replies I got here on the forum was from you suggesting Smileys. I finally called about a year ago.
I was hoping to get quite a few parts shipped from him but he was very short on help. I got busy and have not followed up.
I really need to get out there. Hard to get the time to make the trip. I'll have to look into it but it's probably only 2 hrs each way.
I had a fascinating conversation with George that must have been at least 20 min and it had nothing to do with parts! :clap:
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Leeroy. He had a raised power takeoff on the tractor I got the Belt pulley off of. This time I saw that was gone. You have things you want you really need to spend the time to just go. Every year these things get older, and parts a little harder to find. It is well worth the trip just to look around. My 1925 White truck came from there. I see your from R.I. I'm not that far off of the road you would take, Rt 23, and could take a ride with you on a warm day and could even help you pull some parts. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Dave thanks! We will be sure to let you know if we head out there and would surely enjoy meeting you. I do need to call George again- one idea I had was buying a complete tractor and trailering home.
Interesting you've bought a dairy as milking is one of the obstacles to easily making the trip. While we are not a dairy, I do milk our Jersey twice a day, and my son does afternoon milking at a local dairy. Hope you keep us updated on your dairy!

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Leeroy, The Dairy came with the new wife. It has been in her family since 1951. I can't milk cows myself so if the barn is refilled with cows that will be up to the younger generation. I suffer from PsA and Tick born Babisiosis/ Lymes . I can't get up and down to do it. The younger generation has known that and will have to do the hard physical labor themselves. I don't mind tractor work, or even repairs and maintainance as long as it can be done at my own pace. I'll PM you my phone number. Leave a voice mail if I don't answer. I don't text so dont leave any of them.

1960 Fordson Power Major