Rear half shafts leaking oil

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Jimbratt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Rear half shafts leaking oil

Post by Jimbratt »

Looks like I need to replace the rear 1/2 shaft oil seal , any advice or tips
On my 1963 Super Major

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Rear half shafts leaking oil

Post by Billy26F5 »

There are two types of axle shaft (std. and heavy duty), so see carefully what you have, ensure that the cork gasket between the seal retainer and the axle casting actually seal as if not you'll be in there again, and ensure you count the turns of the LH thread nut to give a reasonably accurate preload to the bearings (to do this properly would be an enormous job and it will be sufficient to keep the current preload unless you clearly see it's not right).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Your biggest problem will probably be getting the bearing cups of the half shaft to be able to fit the new seals without damaging them. Be prepared to find grooves on the sealing surface of the shaft. If you do find them, I recommend a speedy sleeve.

If you need to fit new bearings as well, you’ll need to reset bearing preload. But that isn’t a really bad job.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

If you haven't already done it, grease the bearing using the grease nipple on the axle trumpet. This will often cure a small leak
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Very good point John.
Sandy
ImageImageImage