Major with hydraulic drive

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Emiel
True Blue

Major with hydraulic drive

Post by Emiel »

In this link you’ll find some photos of the major hydraulic transmission. These are photos I’ve never seen before. Might be interesting for some guys here to see as well.

https://www.tractorfan.nl/picture/1510815/recent/
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Major with hydraulic drive

Post by Billy26F5 »

Superb find, I think it's out of a film which I've just found again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPZ1F2H ... =RobColley
It is great to see it in colour, I discovered it in the official NIAE films that we got years ago in DVDs by Brian Bell.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Yes I've got the NIAE DVD's they show some interesting prototype machines. The "Look at Life" short films were broadcast in cinemas in between main film showings, some are available on DVD sets grouped for topics such as Transport, Science, Military etc, I have some of the sets but this is the first time I have seen this particular clip in the "YouTube" link, I felt a bit sorry for the little FE35 copperbelly with that forage harvester on the end of the PTO shaft!

Institutions such as the NIAE used to design and build prototype machines for various tasks, and when they were up and running mainline manufacturers would take them up, finalise the development and put them into production, an example is the MF 711 potato harvester originally developed and designed by the NIAE. Large companies such as ICI did the same, they had their experimental farms and would develop prototype machines some of which would be taken up by manufacturers - for example ICI developed a prototype rear mounted game flushing bar with weights and chains and which was about 12 foot wide at their Jealotts Hill experimental dairy farm. This is shown in a 1951 article in Power Farmer with a photo of three Fergusons fitted with Featherstone mid mounted mowers at work, the rear tractor is fitted with the game flushing bar which should scare game away from a width sufficient for three knife bars on the next circuit of the field, hence the Ferguson front mounted game flusher was developed from this and put into production. The hydrostatic drive Major did not progress any further however, probably too expensive to produce at that time!
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

One of the films in the DVD's that I thought was very good was the test of the P6 E27N, where you see them running it in and then seing the maximum belt and drawbar power and the long ploughing test. Similar films made by Ford have both a Major and two Dexta's ploughing for 6 and 4 days and another view of the hydrostatic Major and drawbar tests with a County Crawler. All great stuff showing lots of curious inventions and good hard working tractors in top condition.
Sandy
ImageImageImage