NP ratio stamping

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Billy26F5
True Blue

NP ratio stamping

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think there were a few pics of that on the forum but unfortunately they seem to have dissappeared. Does anyone have any as I'm thinking about Super Billy (I'm 99% sure he's the slow ratio but until he runs I won't know for sure, and wish the ratio had been stamped)? If there were any variations it would be nice to know what period each one was used in.
Thanks very much
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: NP ratio stamping

Post by mathias1 »

Normally it's on the triangle behind the gear stick.

Early ones (from june/july? 1963 have it stamped on the flange of the gearbox/backend.

Why do you think your tractor is a new performance?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I'm pretty sure Super Billy is a Super 55, but herein lies the problem. As far as I know Ebro never stamped the ratio on any of their tractors, and although the Super 55 is said to have been made with the slow ratio only, as the 160 (and all later models and possibly the very last Super 55's as well as they ran out of parts for the NP gearbox as the 160 gearbox is even slower) was available with both ratios it means that anyone could have asked for a swap or even done it themselves (the pre NP PTO became available again with the 160 too as the gear ratio for the PTO was much slower). This of course means that without him running I can't tell what he actually has, and as Ford had been stamping the ratio for about a year before Ebro started making the Super 55 it's even stranger that they didn't stamp the ratio. Here's what you see in both places you expect to find the ratio:
Nothing here
The serial number extra location. Ebro put it here as well as in the usual spot under injector no. 1. After 70 or 72 they swapped the serial and engine number locations on the block, with the serial number now under injector no. 4.
Nothing here either. I'm afraid he's not that clean yet.
When we do find out the ratio I'm keen to stamp it, and that's why I was hoping for pics, so I could see exactly what Ford did. I seem to remember that some didn't have the usual 33 or 44 stamping, and it rings a bell that the change was on 08C-973347.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Sandy,

Is the pto dropbox looking like a NP one?

Slow major drives like 23 to 24km/h at full throttle.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The casting is definitely the NP type, but as later the earlier type was also offered again it doesn't really help (having said that the year of the casting makes it theoretically impossible to find an earlier PTO on a tractor of Super Billy's age). We'll find out driving Billy and Super Billy side by side at the same revs in the same gear and see how they compare, bearing in mind that even if Super Billy is fast and we test the speed in 5th they won't be exactly the same as Billy has fairly new condition 11-36 tyres and Super Billy has very worn 12-36 tyres (one of those used to be Billy's), so it won't be that accurate. I'm pretty sure that we won't be able to see Super Billy keep up with Billy, but you never know if you can't do the test or see the drive pinion (and we won't see that for a while, as although the hydraulibcs need fixing, Davie's are also needing fixing, and we'll start with the one that has more corrections, from memory Davie, but I don't know how bad Super Billy is today, as my memory of his corrections was over 15 years ago, just before the big end failed).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Sandy,

this is a calculation sheet on the fordson major. I don't know where I found it.
the difference between the slow NP and all other is a lot.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... drive_link

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I didn't know this one, I was used to the chart in the repair manual. I'm going to try to add the Ebro 160 ratios, so you can see how different those ratios are, you can look at the charts in the manual I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8385
It's also nice seeing the differences in the different tyre sizes.
Sandy
ImageImageImage