regulator position

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
simonj
Not Quite Blue Yet

regulator position

Post by simonj »

Hi, could someone please upload some pictures of a regulator and starter-solenoid in their original factory installed positions. I'm doing a rebuild and cannot find a place where on or near the battery tray they would bolt to. I don't want to start drilling new holes or making brackets. I want to keep original if possible
thanks

1955 power major
aluminium cover regulator with bullet connectors

Hair Bear
True Blue

Re: regulator position

Post by Hair Bear »

The voltage regulator on mine is inside the dashboard.
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

As Rob says the regulator (which should be a Lucas RB106/1 37172, Ford part no. E27N-10505E, not an RB108 as you seem to have) is in the dash, mounted in the lower half. The solenoid (Lucas 76411, Ford part no. E1ADDN-11450B) goes under the battery tray in two holes near its LH side, with the terminal end facing the outside. I can get you pics of Billy if needed.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

simonj
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by simonj »

Sorry guys I misled you with my tractors age, it's more likely to be a 1960 model. My confusion is because the engine has been replaced and its number is not listed in the manufactures yearly data. It starts with an 'S'. I'm guessing its age from the various casting codes.

So that said, and the fact the wiring is not long enough to reach the lower dash box, it points to be not locating in the dash.

If anyone has a 60s era major, I would really appreciate if someone could put up some pictures of the regulator in its location.

thanks again

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Now I see why you have an RB108 (Ford part no. E1ADDN-10505A fitted from 1542263, early February 60), there should be some brackets point welded to the rear of the air filter for that to attach to. The S prefix number means it's likely an industrial engine, not the original one. If yours is before 1542263 it should have an RB106/2 37206, Ford part no. E27N-10505F, and it will have a larger metal housing for it to attach to onto a large bracket point welded to the rear RH quarter of the air filter. The solenoid is the same as the 1955 one, but is fitted to a bracket bolted to the LH side of the battery tray, with the terminal end at the top.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

simonj
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by simonj »

Thanks Billy, it's becoming clearer. My air filter body does not have a wrap around bracket welded on as seen in this picture.

https://agrilineproducts.com/oil-bath-assembly-6133a

I think it must have been replaced with a later super major item.

What do you think, does the picture show the correct air filter
thanks

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The picture shows the type of large bracket used till 1542263, the later filter looks almost identical but has two small brackets on the rear for the RB108 to attach to, this would be used from 1542263 till the end.
Here's what Agriline supply like it: https://agrilineproducts.com/oil-bath-assembly-6133.
If you could post a pic of yours it would be great (see this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5024&p=53955#p53955)
Sandy
ImageImageImage

simonj
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by simonj »

Okay, unfortunately the Agriline photo doesn't show the brackets. But I get the general idea of where the regulator should mount. I don't feel like buying the correct filter body, so will make up my own fittings. Mayhill tractors have a picture of a filter which shows more of the bracket but it suggests the regulator is mounted vertically.
https://www.mayhilltractors.com/index.p ... h=oil+bath

I followed your links of how to upload photos of my filter, and hope I've done it correctly.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The regulator does indeed mount vertically, with the cover facing the LH side. In the third pic I can see the solenoid bracket, the solenoid fits behind that. You seem to have a Mk2 air filter (used from 1425097 to 1481091), not a very common one and one that was not made to hold the regulator. For sorting this I suggest you do what Ebro did (Ebro never fitted the regulator to the air filter), making a bracket to bolt onto the battery tray like the solenoid bracket and have the regulator as you see here on Super Billy (note Ebro had a combined bracket) (here you see the rubber plugs removed to show how to adjust it, if you don't have the plugs the cover needs to be off for this, you'll need a good voltmeter to set this up):
While it's still off take the cover off and reset the clearances as shown here https://traction-owners.co.uk/wp-conten ... ontrol.pdf
This is what there is inside Super Billy's regulator:
I definitely recommend you reset the regulator and also polarise the dynamo (touch the dynamo F terminal with the negative battery pole, making sure you connect any isolation switches you might have, or if the dynamo isn't on yet also connect the body to the battery positive pole; all this assuming you keep the original positive earth, if not reverse all the polarities in what I just said) as then you'll get top charging.

The Lucas manual I just posted is well worth reading, as it's very good and it even mentions Fordson when comparing the extremes of the regulator series and load coils turns. There are others around with other electrical parts being covered.
Sandy
ImageImageImage