Minimec timing mark missing

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
TueDie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Minimec timing mark missing

Post by TueDie »

Hi!
I have a NPSM which had massive problems with lack of power and white smoke when I drove it last year. When I wanted to move it in the hall, it wouldn´t start, and still have lots of white smoke/unburnt diesel.

So I would like to ensure that the fuel pump timing is correct, but I simply can't find a timing mark on the coupler. Is there any way to find the correct timing and make a new mark, by looking at the plungers or anything like that?

Best wishes!
Tue

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Minimec timing mark missing

Post by Billy26F5 »

The timing should be 21ºBTDC. Is the pointer missing (above the coupling)? If so align the flywheel anyway and see where the timing mark is in reference to the pump, it should be below the pointer mounting bolt. When doing this ensure you have no.1 cylinder on compression and the coupling clamp bolt below the auxiliary shaft. Here's the pic in the instruction book, that is roughly what you should see (the claw bolts should be near the adluster slots mid position when properly timed):
If having done this you're not running it probably means you'll have to adjust it slightly by trial and error (one degree at a time), if doing that you still don't run check the pump phasing (ensure you have suitable equipment for that and no dirt around).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

TueDie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by TueDie »

Thanks!

I set the flywheel, at still didn't se any mark on the coupling clamp, but it was positioned downwards, and after setting the claw bolts right in the middle, the engine starts at once, but the running is rough and there is still some white smoke, so I suspect that some cylinders aren´t firing. I'll try adjusting the claw bolt ever so slightly, and maybe do a compressiontest.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I wouldn't expect the compression to be a problem, just try adjusting the timing till the running is good. As for smoke you'll only get rid of it with hard work. If there's a cylinder that consistently fails to run see how the injector is working, but I suspect once given suitable work it will settle down.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LakeLox »

I had a similar issue on the weekend, finally got round to first start after a complete rebuild, new crankshaft, pistons, liners, referb on injectors, pump and head. Couldn’t find any marks on the pump coupling either, but there was two punched marks put there by someone previous to me??, I think I set the flywheel at 23deg, gave it a shot and it ran like a dream. Here are some pics https://postimg.cc/gallery/SbKp6HXm
:beer: from the Outback Oasis Lake Cargelligo NSW Australia
He with the most toys wins :clap:
1960 Fordson Power Major, Eng S/N 1554727

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You seem to have a problem many people have, for that is not the original coupling. The original mark is much neater. 23º BTDC is correct.
Sandy
ImageImageImage