First Start After Rebuild

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

First Start After Rebuild

Post by LakeLox »

Started an engine rebuild over a year ago now, had a flood in my shed for 5 months so had to move stuff up mid-rebuild. Struggled to find everything after that but got it going on the weekend. I bought a full rebuild kit here in Australia with the crankshaft. The starter motor wouldn’t turn it over at first so had to pull it up the road few times and drop the clutch with it in gear to free things up a bit. I got the oil pressure up around 40psi just pulling it around. Then I tightened all the injector pipes and let it come to life. Ticked over like a dream. Just got to sort out some wiring for all the new gauges and give it some gentle run in time. Got a few pics here https://postimg.cc/gallery/Th6XLMr
:beer: from the Outback Oasis Lake Cargelligo NSW Australia
He with the most toys wins :clap:
1960 Fordson Power Major, Eng S/N 1554727

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: First Start After Rebuild

Post by Billy26F5 »

Nice Major you've got there. The rust on the crank doesn't look great. Give the engine a decent load or the smoke will never go, these engines were made for hard work.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Looking good.
Next time I do an engine rebuild, I need a puller like that to get the sleeves out.

The O-ring in one of the pictures, is it the one that needs to go between the block and head gasket?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LakeLox »

The little o-ring, we don’t worry about that little fella. It was subject of a previous post. Couldn’t work out where it went, we thought it went under one the tappet posts there. But couldn’t find out??. It was smaller than the one you talk of. It’s in the box of spares

LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LakeLox »

Thanks, the rust was a bit of concern. Got it cleaned up and polished out. The whole rebuild kit was only $1200 AUD, they weren’t interested in the rust on a new crank when I found it??

The old crank wasn’t too bad, i bought the tractor with a big end knock for $750. It had been rebuilt only a few years prior but failed. Upon inspection, N0.4 big end let go. The special shaped washer under one of the rod bolts was not seated correctly when torqued. It was pinched on one of the corners. It has then come loose in running conditions and fallen into place leaving the big end under torqued. The rest was history. Of course it was shutdown when it first made a noise according to the previous owner!!. There was no shell left of the bearings in the rod!!, white metal everywhere through the engine and the rod itself was well burnished. It had quite a knock.

I had at the injectors rebuilt and the pump serviced. Went the whole hog and fresh bucket of blue paint too to dip everything in while the flood was on at our place and I couldn’t get in my shed for 5 months. It took me another five months to find everything I had taken to town to refurbish and put back on the tractor :lol:

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

mathias1 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:43 pm
The O-ring in one of the pictures, is it the one that needs to go between the block and head gasket?
That's the seal for the oil feed plug screw for the vacuum exhauster. If it doesn't leak you're better not to disturb it as very few have moved since initial assembly at Dagenham, making for some potential trouble if removed (unless of course you wish to fit an exhauster, but they're very rare on tractors, mainly industrials; all lorries had one though).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LakeLox »

Do you mean the plug on the side where we the oil pressure gauge is and the warning switch screw in? There is two ports there under oil pressure, I have that screw out and both a pressure gauge on the side of the engine block and the idiot light on the dash so booth ports are being used.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It's the screw just behind the injector pump on the block,below the maximum fuel stop in the pic. Note Billy has an injector pump that can drive an exhauster.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LakeLox »

Ahh that little screw, didn’t touch it, just a fresh coat of paint over it to seal it up a bit more. Sorry to show my ignorance but what is an exhauster?? Is it like a braking system on the trucks

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It is indeed for brakes, the lorries had a hydrovac system, and a few tractors had a lever operated vacuum brake for trailers (but not the tractor itself). There's a whole section on this in the manual: https://www.fordson.se/8_9_Broms_sl%E4p ... 01-010.pdf
Sandy
ImageImageImage

LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LakeLox »

That’s an impressive feature for a tractor of that vintage, can’t say I’ve seen anything like that here in the land of OZ. I don’t think we used little tractors to drag big trailers that much down here on the roads like you do through Europe. Our farms were a bit bigger and the tractors don't get used on the public roads like yours do.

Have you got an exhauster for Billy?, were they all that common?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

As far as I know Billy has never had an exhauster, but as the engine is not original it could have come from a lorry. On tractors they're pretty rare and almost exclusively on industrial ones, there do seem to be a few of those still around. As far as I know there aren't any farm trailers with special brakes like this from this period in our area, they all seem to be far far later.
Sandy
ImageImageImage