Gearbox refill setups!!

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Gearbox refill setups!!

Post by LakeLox »

I know, I know, this is not the right way to go about it, but the tractor I bought had been set up with a valve cock and hose to refill the gearbox each time you used the tractor after the oil from the gearbox drained through to the rear. I do plan on fixing the issue when I work out how and have the time to take the tractor back off the paddock to do it. What are some of the setups out there to tackle this issue until you repair it properly. I was even thinking of piping some hard drawn copper or pipe into the gearbox semi-permanent to do away with the hose flogging about under my feet and the oil running out of the hose everywhere
https://postimg.cc/gallery/TtbYRMt
:beer: from the Outback Oasis Lake Cargelligo NSW Australia
He with the most toys wins :clap:
1960 Fordson Power Major, Eng S/N 1554727

Old Hywel
True Blue

Re: Gearbox refill setups!!

Post by Old Hywel »

I’ve used a length of hydraulic hose run from the trailer coupling.
Not an everyday use though.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Probably worth adding a coupling to that arrangement to allow you to remove the hose when you're not transferring the oil. Then you can enjoy your Major properly!
I agree replacing the seals is a job you want to plan for, as it will inevitably mean that you have to spend several hours on it and be careful about good supports and keeping everything clean.Well worth doing when a good moment does arise.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LakeLox »

This is definitely on my to do list. It’s a drama not knowing if the gearbox has oil in it. I can generally tell with the dip stick from the rear case as to how overfull it is. Just need to sort out the parts I need and get set up for it, I have chain blocks and gantry frames on wheels to swing things off. Just got to fin the time to do it

LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LakeLox »

Ordered a new seal to start work on replacing the PTO seal, but they sent me the rear one, not the one for inside the housing where the selectors are, does anyone have the part number for this seal, nothing listed in the manual, any help would be appreciated, Cheers

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Not too sure what you mean, the main seal on the transmission large gear is E27N-7082A, the PTO shaft seal is E1ADKN-7297A (double lip) or E1ADKN-7297B (single lip, two were fitted back to back), and the PTO selector (not relevant for the gearbox to rear axle leak) is E27N-7262A. E1ADDN-7297 is not suitable as it's for the NP only. I suggest you look at the parts books on the FFCN for anything else you need to check for part nos..
Sandy
ImageImageImage

LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LakeLox »

I might be barking up the wrong tree, I was looking to pull the housing off the bottom of the tractor where the PTO selector is located on the side, I was of the opinion this was a common point where the oil made its way from the bottom of the gearbox to the rear axle housing via the PTO shaft. I thought it might be a simple fix for the seal inside there where the PTO runs through to the rear. Other than that I guess it would be on the actual shaft from the gearbox to the rear transaxle??. Correct me if I'm wrong, I heard somewhere it was a good point to check and do first as this was more common to be the main cause of the leak??

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Pto box is a common leak area and removing it gives a good opportunity to check the bearings and clean things out while you’re there. Don’t
Forget to check the bearings in the pto box. These are the most vulnerable ones in the gearbox because all water and dirt collects at the deepest part.

The gear backlash between pto box and gearbox is set with the gasket. So best is to use a gasket in original thickness. Only an instant gasket gives issues.

The main drive seal requires splitting but is not a bad job, just quite a lot of work.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

To replace the PTO shaft seal the casting needs to come out, as Emiel says that's where the dirt will be so a good clean here is well worth it. Other than that there's nothing difficult about this apart from the weight of the PTO casting. The main seal is much harder to do as you need to split the gearbox from the rear axle, making for some fairly heavy work to get at the seal, then there's the preload setting too which is not easy to do without taking the whole gearbox out. Both are likely to leak but the PTO seal will allow the levels to equalise where as the main seal will bring the level down to just below it and then stop leaking noticeably, long before the levels are the same.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

LakeLox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LakeLox »

It sound like the PTO box is my issue, Ill start there and se how I go, I have sourced the parts and they are on the way, so ill have a crack when they turn up see how it goes, thanks for the help. I'll keep you updated