regrinding valve stem caps

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Sjors
True Blue

regrinding valve stem caps

Post by Sjors »

Helle everyone,
I was wondering if someone had the valve stem caps reground. Most caps on my engine are pretty beat up, pitted surface and so on. The damages are very undeep so I was thinking to try to grind the surfaces.
Didn't had a look at the rockers yet.

Sjors

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: regrinding valve stem caps

Post by Billy26F5 »

Try it if you think it'll work, but it's very tedious, recutting the seats will be more reliable, but the grinding is still rewuired to finish the job. It took us several weeks to do Super Billy, we didn't recut the seats but it might have been a good idea.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi Sjors,

Do you mean the rotator caps to get the correct clearance again there ?
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

That's a good point Emiel, unfortunately we need new ones as the wear they have is immense (clearance between the cap and collets, not between the valve and cap). Not too long ago I looked at the CNH website and they seemed to have them but we never got any further. If someone is successful it will be very encouraging as until fairly recently I had thought CNH wouldn't have anything for Fordsons.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Sjors
True Blue

Post by Sjors »

Hi Emiel and Sandy,
No, not to adjust clearance, but I want to regrind the top surface of the stem caps (where the rocker push against) as these surfaces are damaged due to wear. Valves, guides and seals are new. The seats reground. Also new cam followers.
I saw new caps should be available through New Holland.
My engine has caps on both the intake and exhaust stems, but two types. A higher and a lower one.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The lower one is for the exhaust valves, and all I can think of is the CNH route at the moment. The others you'll just have to live with as they are, am I right in thinking they're like these? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=757&p=4861#p4861
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Sjors
True Blue

Post by Sjors »

Hi Sandy,
Yes they look like the ones you see in the link.
Today I ground 10 of the 12 caps and did finish them by hand with a very fine oil stone. I'm very pleased with the result.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Could you post pics please? As Super Billy has trouble here too I'm keen to see what we can do.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Sjors
True Blue

Post by Sjors »

Hi Sandy,

I would like to post pictures. I did in the past, but it's too complicated to do so I forgot and have to revive my Photobucket account etc.. Now I got emails from photobucket that my account is too long unused and so on...

Other forums are easy, just navigate to you PC folder and upload.

Sjors
True Blue

Post by Sjors »

Sandy, who is Super Billy? You mention that name quite often. Is it the name of your tractor?

Which problems do you have?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

For pics try this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5024&p=53955#p53955
Super Billy has quite a long story which I'll cover properly at some point when I have time, but to cut a long story short he had a no.1 big end failure that has meant we needed to do a full rebuild. As we got further in more problems appeared (as so often happens) and more things needed replacing. We're now quite close to finishing but not without a huge delay, for this all started back in April 2008 when Super Billy was returning this subsoiler to a friend (here it is on Billy 3 years earlier).
When there he stopped, and wouldn't start and had to be brought back. Dismantling started a few days later and was mostly done by the end of that summer, with cleaning then becoming the single biggest job as is clear here
But most of the time there hasn't been enough time, which is why it's taken us so long to finish this, and we're not quite there yet. Coming back to the thread, one of the many problems is high wear on the rotator caps, meaning they're not actually doing what they were intended to. As it's all a bit difficult to do what you did (they're all on now with otherwise faily new parts) we'll have to try and find replacements somehow, but we'll get to that soon.
Sandy
ImageImageImage