Super Major low hydraulic pressure

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Matty
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Super Major low hydraulic pressure

Post by Matty »

Great family photos.

Glad you mentioned the brakes as it might stir me into action. We've been moving manure on a tipper trailer, not sure of the gross weight but its fairly terrifying on the down hill parts. Right hand wheel locks up very easily and the left hand seems very low on effort. I'm out in it every day at the moment and we've got my mates Masey Ebro 157 in the barn with the head off which turns out needs new engine. Once that's out of the way I'll get the Super Ebro indoors and see whats happening inside the drums. Not sure who to see about relining shoes locally. I'll upload some photos once I have them.

Matt

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Super Major low hydraulic pressure

Post by Billy26F5 »

I suggest tightening up the LH brake for now, here's the brake manual: https://www.fordson.se/6_Framaxel_styrn ... 67-190.pdf Know all about brakes misbehaving and it's not fun, the drum brakes are rather better in that sense, as the disk brakes can very easily get into the habit of locking up and require serious work to fix.
If no oil is coming out of the LH brake I would maybe do a test trying to use it as a steering brake and see how effective it is at that, in that case it should lock up redily and assist turning, if nothing happens but when both pedals are lached you can do a RH steering brake application it means you probably need to tighten it up a lot. You can do all this without dismantling anything and it should be fairly quick and easy. If there is oil in the brake a new set of linings and seal will be needed plus a good clean. Hope nothing is broken but that also needs checking, also ensure cables are well greased as they can seize badly if not, although it wouldn't normally allow your symptoms.
Sandy
ImageImageImage